Double P pickup bass... wiring options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by codiak, Apr 26, 2019.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    There are some 6 way switches you could use for more flexibility. There are also rotaries that offer more than 4 options, AFAIK.

2. MadScience

MadScience Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Bass Land
    I'm a big fan of mini switches because you can lay them out in a straight line and just run your hand past it to set everything the way you want in a split-second instead of messing with the rotary knob. A rotary knob is more for a varitone like BB King used.

PawleeP likes this.
  3. MadScience

Apr 15, 2019
    Bass Land
    From a purely physics standpoint this is your best option.

4. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    You may be right about the series setting when switching two P pickups. But with the original Ripper pickups, I would disagree. Those two pickups in series are a wonderful thing. I also I have the polarity reversed series setting.

I have mine wired from fat to thin: series, neck, bridge, series reversed. I had to give up parallel, but musically it is a plus with this setup.

Otto

merseymale likes this.
  5. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I thought about this, but I want it to have a simple layout. Volume, tone and a rotary switch. Also, it’s going on an Epiphone Ripper PJ reissue so I want it to look more like an original Ripper.

6. MadScience

Apr 15, 2019
    Bass Land
  7. MadScience

Apr 15, 2019
    Bass Land
    Literally any electrical switching mechanism will work in a guitar/bass.

8. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    According to the Allparts diagram I posted before I need a 2 pole 4 way rotary switch.

9. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    So this is the pickups mounted. The other set of Model P’s is on the way. According my wiring diagram, where do I ground the bridge pickup? On a pot or other ground? And then the green ‘to ground’ wire also get grounded anywhere? Also, how do I wire the volume and tone pots together? Just standard wiring?

A929EAC0-826B-48BE-B58B-7EF71B01069F.jpeg CD3EFA21-8077-47E5-9967-1BBF0B2C231D.jpeg

PawleeP and merseymale like this.
  10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you want to get interesting, have an opposite coils option. Bridge EA plus neck DG could be a cool sound to explore.

Or, if you want to get really interesting, a stereo option. Both EA coils to one output, both DG coils to another output.

merseymale likes this.
  11. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I just want to wire it like the positions in the diagram.
    Neck
    Both series
    Both parallel
    Bridge

I don’t want to get too crazy with it for now.

merseymale likes this.
  12. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    Do you have a link or photo of the wiring for this, please?

Also any sound clips might be fun too..?

13. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    Good point about grounding the bridge pick up BTW but can I point out that the pick up routs and the wiring channel is UNshielded, unlike the control cavity

Something you may want to address before installing a pickguard!

14. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Already done. All put together and good to go. You get a real fat sound from this and I love it.

1177DA80-207C-4EB5-9918-A5BD17B6E540.jpeg

Jackcrow, aproud1, ex-tension and 3 others like this.
  15. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    This has tempted me to do the same with my double P. Do you find all 4 positions usable?

PawleeP likes this.
  16. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I mainly use parallel when I play, but series is very similar sounding. I’m not sure what other options there are with the rotary switch I have, but if I had to get rid of one it would be series.

aproud1 likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021