Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Plucking on interior strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bennet Pullen, May 2, 2004.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys, I have a question for any of you Victor heads out there. When you are double plucking on an interior string does your fingernail touch the string above the one you are plucking on and make an annoying noise? I am trying to get double thumbing/double plucking (Thumb down, Thumb up, Pluck index, Pluck middle all on one string) down on interior strings and I can't seem to get past this problem. I'll see if I can post some sound clips of what I'm talking about.

2. word. Speaking of vic, he really reassured me about my playing... I always figured those of us with shorter, stubbyer fingers were doomed to not being able to play some stuff, but the man has hands the exact size of mine! He's such a haus! Anywho, I've had the same troubles in trying to learn that technique... I kinda just had to get over it and once i did, it seemed to flow better. After that, it really isn't gonna make a huge difference if your tone's a bit off on one of the beats, it's really the rythmn that counts.
    :smug:

3. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    just out of curiosity, what is the string spacing at the bridge on your bass? I play a warwick and the string spacing is only 16mm at the bridge, I think this might be contributing to my problem. I guess I will have to try it on a 4 string a school tommorow and see.

4. Yeah mine's real tight too,16mm in fact, very much a contribution to the problem. If you ever look at the spacing on the fodera's(what vic plays/endorses), it explains a little bit how much it affects playability. For now, I'd rather have comfortable spacing. Despite the spacing, enough practice and it can be done. :smug:

5. I play a 4 string Warwick Thumb and the string spacing is 19" which really helps - plus you really have to get your thumb to pass 'through' the string - both up and down - essentially catching the tiny, top left corner of the back of your nail - keep your nails clipped short, that way you should catch a bit of flesh along with your nail - getting the perfect 'thrum'-thump, but practice makes perfect so keep on doing it - it's taken me 8 years to make it sound good.