1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double popping practice tips/basslines to learn

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Just J, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    I'm working on my slapping and popping. I can slap basic lines, but need improvement. One thing I've been working on is double popping/muting. It's seriously kicking my ass, but here's what I'm doing currently:

I set the metronome to triplets, and slap-pop-pop up the E string then back down the A. It ends up being sort of a E minor pentatonic shape.

Now, I know progress will be slow, so I'm taking it steady. 10-15 mins of that a day, every morning, plus randomly messing around throughout the day. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on basslines to learn to incorperate this as well as any tips on general technique.

:bassist:

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

In his second instructional video, Stu Hamm recommends the main riff of "Sexually Active" (from "Radio Free Albemuth") as a good exercise for practising double stops (and I agree):

SexuallyActivemainriff.

Also, you'll find great exercises in Tony Oppenheim's "Slap It!".

3. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    That focuses on double stops... need to work on those too, thx! I do have the "Slap it!" book at home.

Is there a recording of that song on itunes or something? I'd like to hear it's feel.

4. borja

borja

May 3, 2007
  5. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Have you transcribed any Louis Johnson, Larry Graham, or Marcus Miller?

If no, then why not?:D

Ever wonder why guys who were learning to play in the 70's sound more "authentic" when they slap?

I already gave you the answer.