1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double precision pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by minus.eleven, Sep 9, 2008.

1. minus.eleven

minus.eleven

Nov 21, 2007
    Hey all,

I haven't had much luck finding many threads regarding choice of P-style pickups for a project bass with two pickups, the bridge one in the reverse configuration.

I have seen some people recommending the Quarter Pounder for the bridge position, since its higher output will offset the bridge position, but I am not sure that pickup is the kind of tone I am hoping for.

I'm hoping to get a midrange-heavy rock sound, with some warmth and sweetness but intensity at the same time. Would the Seymour Duncan Vintage for P-bass in the neck and the Seymour Duncan Hot for P-bass in the bridge get me close to that sound? Are there any players out there who have tried some combinations of pickups in this particular configuration?

Also, will having a non-high output pickup in the bridge position make it superfluous?

Thanks!

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    My favorite 2 "P" combination is this. I love a Duncan "Antiquity" in the neck possition and a DiMarzio "Will Power" middle pickup in the bridge. Wire them with a pair of concentric V/T pots so you can adjust the tone on each. The will power is a ballsy pickup and is fat/thick sounding. It is also very smooth with punch so for me at least is my favorite 2 P set up. The Antiquity will give a nice vintage P thump with the bridge will rip your head off.

3. P6050086.

G&B pickups. 10K. Great.