Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Ps?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Anybody know of a bass manufacturer that makes a bass with 2 P pickups? I'm aware of Warwicks Buzzard and BC Rich, but I don't want a death metal looking bass. I've just discovered that this is a great configuration for the tone I'm looking for, and now I am on the hunt. Anybody? Go fish?

2. I know George Furlanetto made some custom F Bass models for Alain Caron in the 80's and early 90's. :cool:

Check out the Alain's basses from the years 1989, 1991 and 1992.

F Bass might still make one for you as a custom, you'd have to ask. Big $$ though....

3. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    You are aware that B.C. Rich does make basses other than the pointy type, typically associated with metal, on their USA line, right?

4. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    ...than just death metal basses;

[​IMG]

This is my Eagle. Great Bass!

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    S.D. Curlee and (the plexiglass) Renaissance 4-strings

EDIT: no longer in bid'ness

6. Soapbars might have a P setup inside of 'em. I think I read that one of the many Yamaha TRB:s had dual P pickups, even though you couldn't tell by looking at it.

You can also try to find Fender P Elites from the early eighties. Some of them had double P:s.

7. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i just routed an extra pup hole in my 77 P. i did it the same time it was getting refinned, so no biggie, a few extra bucks, and now i am so happy with it!

dave

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    A beautiful F Bass
    [​IMG]

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is this a "Show us your P-P" thread?

:eek:

:rolleyes:

:D

10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have seen one of these in person but don't know how it sounded. I wish I could have found a larger photo. Does anybody know anything about this model?

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That's an early 80s Fender Precision Elite II. The Elite Is had the one regular P pickup, and the Elite IIs had the second at the bridge. Active electronics, dual P pickups...I think I'd like one! :D

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Here's a picture of my PP:
    [​IMG]

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just did some recording with my bass player's P-bass (I play guitar in this band, go figure) through my Boogie bass amp, and it sounds awesome. Now I know I need a double p more than ever. Maybe I'll pick up a Status when I move to England this summer.

14. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    warwick made a corvette model at one point with double p's

15. billhw13

billhw13 Supporting Member

May 10, 2002
    Clinton, NJ
    pick up a beat up P and route a second p/u for it.

[​IMG]

16. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm sure Warmoth would route a body for the double P pickup if you wanted to build your own bass.

17. billhw13, that is one dynamite color combination - grey+black pearloid pickguard! I never saw that before. That looks so good.
    I know you can buy the PG, but, where did you find a grey Precision?

Mike

18. billhw13

billhw13 Supporting Member

May 10, 2002
    Clinton, NJ
    actually, the bass was stripped (well mostly) when I got it a few years ago. What you see is just some ebony stain and then tung oil on top of it to give it a flat look. trust me - the bass looks better in the pic than in person! But looks don't really concern me..the bass rocks. My point in showing the pic, was that there are some of us who have beater P's around, and if you are so motivated, it's really not that hard to make it a double P.....I know, I know, some folks might sneer or cringe at the thought of it. but to me, it was just making the bass more useful. with a set of flats on it, it has become the bass that I use most often.

19. I think, the guy who did this is a genius!