Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Puke, Vomit, Lash!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    What's with the title?

-Mark

2. did you see that thing???

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yep. That's a double-neck. I think it looks fine.

-Mark

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Could be cool with two outputs and a loop pedal...

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've always kinda like the Hembrys. IIRC the lefty doubleneck Flames bass is owned by a TBer...

[​IMG]

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, it's owned by Pklima.

I've toyed with the idea of ordering one...I like one of his traditional shapes.

Marshall

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I don't have much patience for people who surf around for pictures of unusual instruments that they want to tear down. If you don't like it, fine don't buy one.

The title of this post is an inappropriate criticism of a builder with a perfectly respectable reputation.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

8. what is wrong with me? i have the unfortunate habit of expressing my opinion. I came across this site by accident, saw the double necked thing, found it ugly and thought it might spark a little lively debate if i posted the link. Whats the big problem? you might find my face ugly if you met me!

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, I think it's ugly, but I don't see what the big problem is. Frankly, I'm a little sick of the "we hate guitars" ethic around here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who plays both.

10. Potatoe

Potatoe

Jan 7, 2006
    wow, i personaly think it is very cool! diggin' the p on tele thing, hope it sounds as good as it looks :ninja:

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    You're entitled to your opinions, a whole hat-ful of them.

Was...

1. Double Puke;
    2. Vomit; or
    3. Lash!

....your invitation to 'lively debate'?

I'd just really like to see you make a better bass. As someone who has wrestled with wood and wires, I gotta say--he's doing a hell of a lot better than me!

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    actually wasn't all that bad.

maybe this is because of that fender performer, though. :p

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I paly both also, I don't think it looks so bad as I can't think of a time when I would switch from one to the other in a song. That double neck bass looks nice.
    Seems like you have to hide the fact you play both from some people, and I bet they'd be suprised how many of us are here. BTW, JPJ plays both, and mandolin and keyboards and pedal steel and I'll bet there's more.Sir Paul plays both and keyboards, Jimmy Page palyed Bass w/ the Yarbirds. Ronny Wood played Bass w/ The Jeff Beck Group.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hembry is know for making good instruments.

I can understand not liking the style of some of them, but you you see that most of the really weird ones are custom builds, I bet he doesn't like 'em that way either.

The talk about puke and vomit is well overstated.

+1 for the nix on the anti-guitar vibe. Until recently guitars outnumbered basses in my house, even though I'm more of a bass player than a guitarist.

15. i thought this would be another wish thread...

16. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars

+1

17. HEMBRY

HEMBRY

Jan 16, 2006
    When I first started building, I had intended to just come out with a few affordable designs of my own. I built my first doubleneck for myself and after the novelty wore off, I put it up on eBay to sell and got a half a dozen orders and I was on my way. Anytime I post anything to do with a doubleneck, I book a few more jobs. Over half of the guitars I built last year were doubles. I work very closely with my customers to make sure they get just what they want and I'll even include links for them on my site to wherever they would like. I even do a little artwork for some and a couple of my closest friends started as customers.

I really appreciate all of the kind words I have heard here today. I thank you all.

18. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Just goes to show you, it's the world wide web and you never can tell who's watching.
    Just keep on doing what you do Hembry!