Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double sided tape?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Oct 23, 2002.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Where can I get some double sided tape of the caliber that Bob Gollihur supplies with his K&K pickup elements (the four that go on the bridge)? I need to get some locally, as I will get my bass back from the luthier and need to play a gig pronto. I expect they'd have something at a hardware store?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've never seen the stuff anywhere, which is why I got extra from K&K. It is very thin, not really a tape-- the transfer paper just leaves a layer of adhesive with no carrier.

All you have to do is email me and I'll put a strip in an envelope to you, no charge.

3. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bob, I emailed you - thanks very much! As we all know, you rock.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You forgot to say, "All Hail".

Back when I was actually using the bridge elements of a K&K BMP, I ran out of tape pretty quickly and while waiting for some extra to arrive from (All Hail) Bob, I tried using some regular two-sided carpet tape. While it was way thicker and nowhere near as invisible, I couldn't tell any difference in sound. FWIW, I also discovered that I got a better tone by sticking the elements lower down on the bridge, away from the strings - this got rid of much of the "Fishmanlike" quality of the pickups.

5. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    When I was using a Fishman, I used double-sided 3M tape that I picked up from Lowe's Hardware, the thin kind you are looking for. I'm not sure how it compares to the tape that K&K supplies, bit I had no problems with it. The Fishman, on the other hand...

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When I had the K&K, I used regular
    double sided scotch tape from the
    drug store. It was easily as thin as
    what the maker supplied. It actually
    looked like it was the same. The tape
    comes on a dispenser just like normal
    scotch tape.

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The K&K stuff is not a tape; there is no tape left on the bridge when it is applied. The brown wax paper allows you to deposit adhesive only on the bridge- there is no plastic or any other kind of tape left, only the adhesive, which allows for the tightest fit to the bridge, with as little insulating material as possible.

8. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Tape came yesterday. ALL HAIL bob gollihur and the usps.

9. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    correction...as bob says, it aint tape.