1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double Slap Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Roth135, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Roth135

Roth135

Feb 16, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm a real big fan of funk bass (just like any bassist should) and I've been listening to a lot of it lately. I've been noticing in some videos and songs, bassists use a 'double slap technique.' Although I am a decent slapper, I must know how to double slap.

Any video clips, tips or even a description would help.

Thanks.

2. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I believe your talking about "Double Thumping".

It's bassically when you slap going down then when you pull up your thumb, your nail hits the string a second time. I can't really explain it that well since I am not really that good with the technique. Try searching google or this site for videos/tips. SOme p2p networks have alot of double thumpign videos on them.

Songs with double thumping:
    -Classical Thump - Victor Wooten
    -A Show of Hands - Wooten
    -Donna Lee - Victor Wooten (not Jaco)

There's alot more DTing songs I just can't think of any right now.

3. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I believe Wooten calls it the Open Hammer Pluck... It's when you slap the OPEN string with your thumb, then hammer down on the fret you're aiming for, then plucking / popping the string with your right hand. gives you the effect of having 3 notes in 1.

Classical Thump is an amazing song imo - though I can only play the first 2 measures ;P

Look at http://www.victorwooten.com/lessons/lesson1.htm. I think there are videos available too...

4. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Roth
    This issue have been discussed here a few times already.
    You can do a search for double thumb and find the threads about it.

I think this is the best link ....it includes
    a link to a movie by a guy called quarte03.
    I think he gives a good instructions of how to the DT thechnique.

Adisu

5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Thanks Mike - your links have given me a heads up on the OHP technique - seeing a video makes much more sense than reading text ;)