Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Slap Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Roth135, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Roth135

Roth135

Feb 16, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm a real big fan of funk bass (just like any bassist should) and I've been listening to a lot of it lately. I've been noticing in some videos and songs, bassists use a 'double slap technique.' Although I am a decent slapper, I must know how to double slap.

Any video clips, tips or even a description would help.

Thanks.

2. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I believe your talking about "Double Thumping".

It's bassically when you slap going down then when you pull up your thumb, your nail hits the string a second time. I can't really explain it that well since I am not really that good with the technique. Try searching google or this site for videos/tips. SOme p2p networks have alot of double thumpign videos on them.

Songs with double thumping:
    -Classical Thump - Victor Wooten
    -A Show of Hands - Wooten
    -Donna Lee - Victor Wooten (not Jaco)

There's alot more DTing songs I just can't think of any right now.

3. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I believe Wooten calls it the Open Hammer Pluck... It's when you slap the OPEN string with your thumb, then hammer down on the fret you're aiming for, then plucking / popping the string with your right hand. gives you the effect of having 3 notes in 1.

Classical Thump is an amazing song imo - though I can only play the first 2 measures ;P

Look at http://www.victorwooten.com/lessons/lesson1.htm. I think there are videos available too...

4. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Roth
    This issue have been discussed here a few times already.
    You can do a search for double thumb and find the threads about it.

I think this is the best link ....it includes
    a link to a movie by a guy called quarte03.
    I think he gives a good instructions of how to the DT thechnique.

Adisu

5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Thanks Mike - your links have given me a heads up on the OHP technique - seeing a video makes much more sense than reading text ;)