Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Slapping help?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shaggy98771, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    anyone know of any good technique to double
    slap? :bassist:

2. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I could be wrong, but double slapping is pretty much adding a percussive beat to your slaping by patting down on the string with your fretting hand's fingers. Not enough to play the note be enough to get the clanky thunk out of it.

WHen I double slap(I dont slap to much) I just strike a few of my fingers down with my fretting hand to add the double slap. It works well while muting the strings with part of your palm and popping for fast triplets.

I could very well be wrong with this information... Anyone else more adept in double slapping then me to help Shaggy better?

3. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    I had read somewhere that the pinky could also be used, you would
    slap with your pinky followed quickly by the thumb or vise versa, not sure where i read it tho..... thanks for the help tho

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nononono guys!

With double thumbing you don't just slap "downstrokes" but also do upstrokes with the thumb, quite similar to how a pick is used.

You strike the string with the (side of the tip of your) thumb, "move through" that string and let the adjacent string stop the motion. Then move the thumb up in the same way.

You can combine this with a pop to get a triplet, for example: slap-down, slap-up, pop.

Check out Victor Wooten or Alain Caron for examples.

You should do this with quite a light touch, most problems occur in the beginning when you do it too hard IME.

Good luck.

5. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    that helped alot thanks