Double slapping type-thing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Josh_15, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Firstly I apologise for the subject, I don't know how else to describe it. Anyway what I speak of is the slapping technique where when you bounce your thumb off, you bring the opposite side of your hand (opposite to your thumb) back down on the strings. I cant seem to perform this technique too well. A good example of what im talking about is a song by an english band called Sikth who all you american dudes should check out! The song is called "Hold My Finger". Anyways any input would be appreciated on helping me and others perfect this technique. - Josh.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You don't bounce with double thumping. You pull "through" the string and stop at the next. then you move up again.

Check out Vic Wooten's videos for some visual pointers.
  3. Yeah I will check it out thanks :) Still confused though hehehe. :confused:
  4. I don't think he's talking about double thumbing. You're talking about kinda "flapping" your hand back and forth like rolling on a djembe or congo aren't you? It just takes practice, I find left hand slapping to be much cleaner and better in time though.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I think this is what he means as well. I could never get a good sound with it, but my old guitarist (who was also a great bassist) could do it faster and more accurately than most people can double thump.
  6. Yeah thats what im talking about! Its really hard to pull off and sound good. Oh well. Thanks guys :)

7. If you get a chance could you explain this technique more? Or where can I "SEE" it? Maybe both?
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    It's most easily seen in percussionists who use hand drums. Basically it's like laying your hand flat on a surface, then alternate hitting the table surface with the right side of your hand (on your thumb where you'd normally thump), and on the side of your pinky or the bottom knuckle of the pinky.
  9. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    its more of a slap Mute its like a muted pop at the strings then two muted thumps, then repeated, and faster.. thats how it goes.

bit like that
  10. Sweet I have to try that!
  11. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    I believe the Bill Dickens video by warner bros covers this style. Maybe you could check it out. It has a plethera of useful information on the video. You may need to watch the whole thing just to get the overview and then master the different techniques, little by little.

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yups, I know exactly where you are talking about. Its a technique I figured out for my self a time ago. Its pretty cool to do, and sounds neat too. I occasional use it for really fast slapping, like speedpicking on a guitar. Only, I don't have much advice, practice alot..start slow, get your sound right and then speed up..yadayadayada, the usual advice so it seems...
    have fun