1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

double stop

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by paniak17, May 12, 2004.

  1. when you double stop, should i use my index and thumb as ive been doing lately.
  2. DaemonBass


    Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    It doesn't matter really what you use unless your trying to copy a certain player or practicing something specific. You can pluck with 2 fingers like you said or you can strum in succession quickly. As long as both the notes end up ringing together it's still a double stop I imagine.
  3. CJK84


    Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I'd say the method you use for plucking a double stop is a matter of choice.

    Only possible problem with thumb and index is that the "fleshier" thumb may give a more rounded tone than the index finger. Perhaps index and middle would be best to simultaneously strike both strings.

    You could strum - however, the two strings won't be struck at precisely the same time. Might give a flam effect that you don't want.

    Good luck.
  4. Sorry guys, but what's a double stop?
  5. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    a 2-string chord. ie:: playing 2 strings at once.

    I usually play them by raking the string with my hand/back of fingernails.
  6. key to remember is... different techniques give you (sometimes only minor... sometimes major) different tone and sound,..
    find what sounds best for what you are doing... playing the same note with your thumb then strumming right after it can add new life to a line
  7. Hehe, why is it called a double stop? There's no better word to use besides "stop"??
  8. Baofu


    Mar 8, 2003
    It's a throw back to violin and/or cello technique. Or so I've heard.
  9. Indeed. On fretless instruments you "stop" notes whereas people who play fretted instrument usually say they "fret" notes. Playing two strings at once on any bowed instrument has been called a double stop for about as long as there have been bowed fretless string instruments.
  10. Hah, ic, I thought the stop is as stop the ringing of the string. So its actually like stopping the vibrations, and hence fretting.

    So now I got it, since u can't actually (can you?) bow 3 strings at one time, there's no such things as tripple stop, so everything above two strings are called chording?
  11. Aaron Saunders

    Aaron Saunders

    Apr 27, 2002
    The distinction between "chords" and "double stops" is often heatedly debated and often in a ridiculous fashion, resulting in hurt feelings and warnings from moderators. Kiwlm, I know you're unaware of it, but please don't open that can of...laser-equipped, brass-knuckle wielding worms.