Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double stop?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mesa Man, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pardon my stupidity, but can someone give me a proper explanation of the term ”double stop”? I see that term all over the place.. but what is it? I have only been playing for 13 years and I still havent figured out what it is. But, on the other hand I dont use that much english when discussing musical terms with my band mates, since I am from Sweden. So please help me out here!

2. Im pretty sure a doublestop is when 2 notes are played at the same time, like a chord but only 2 notes.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Playing two notes at once, by stopping two strings at once.

4. A chord consists of 3 or more notes together, usually a triad is the most common smallest form you'll find.

A double stop is another way of saying an interval is played, since 2 notes don't make a full chord. Example: a root and a fifth. or a root and a third.

5. Ok, so is the interval played simultaneously (like a small chord) or just after each other? Like two notes separated?

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Together. If not it's just 2 notes.

7. Yes, it's something of a 2 note chord (even though there is no such thing, technically).

8. ok two tones played at the same time, but why called a stop? Double is pretty obvious now, but a stop? are they muted just short of the beat?

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

10. and by stopping you mean muting? I feel like I am missing some point here...

11. and by stopping you mean muting? I feel like I am missing some point here... stopping does, to my ear, sound like the direct opposite of playing notes. :confused:

12. Well, it's originally a classical term.

Double for two different strings
    Stopping is a term for altering the vibration of the string by placing your finger onto the string and altering the pitch. In other words, they mean fretting.

13. Violinists use such terms.

When we say "fretting", they say "stopping".

It's weird I know, but that's where it comes from.

14. In other words: playing two different notes at the same time.:bassist:

Strange name for such a simple thing:meh:

15. Yep, blame classical music for it.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    They say "stopping" because violinis have no frets, same as double basses have no frets. The term originated way before there were fretted electric basses.

17. actually, two or more notes sounded in harmony form a chord. A triad uses the root, a third, and a fifth...

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Can we, you know, NOT get into the chord vs. double stop debate again?

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    We will not do that again.

Use the search function for more on this subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.