1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double strap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vinny, Apr 28, 2006.

1. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm not sure if this would be the place for this question, but... Does anyone know of a good leather strap that goes over both shoulders? I'm really partial to these for the weight relief they provide as well as the ability to balance my basses fairly neutrally. The thing is, the ones I have & all I can find are kinda cheesy nylon web material. So does anyone know of a nice one or am I gonna have to get them custom made?

2. 1stOfficerRiker

1stOfficerRiker Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Cincinnati
    oops sorry, i thought "double strap" was when you spend way too much on gear then have to eat hot dogs for a month. :crying:

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
  5. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    +1 on the moody! not a double strap, but very comfortable and extremely well made!

6. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I really like my Comfort Strap!

7. I got one of the slider straps for my double neck. Considering how the straps have to feed through and around the various bits it's hard to see how you could use any material other than webbed nylon. Leather is too stiff to bend and twist to conform to they way they've designed it. For $19 at Music123 it's not a bad deal and does a great job for what it's designed for. My 2 cents worth.

8. Hi,

Looking at what you want (better weight distribution, comfort) I wouldn't recomment the double strap.

Many basses are designed to balance well and perfectly with the over the one sholder strap. As someone mentioned, a 4'' strap will distribute the weight better just due to shear surface area. I think mine is 3'' but it's perfect for me.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-Strap-3-...ryZ64421QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I heard good things about the new strap from Ritter too. But it's new so a lot might be hype...

Perhaps the double strap would work but I'm sceptical. Just that pic someone posted earlier it looked like the guitar wasn't balanced as it should. Seemed more centered than usual and that would affect you more as a 34'' instrument bass player reaching for those low notes.... once again, never tried em, just looking at the pics though I wouldn't recommend that one at least...

9. You obviuosly already have a preference,so I'm probably wasting your time,but have you ever tried a REAL skinny strap? I know it sounds crazy.:eek: But it worked for me.:cool: I use a Fender style thing with the shoulder pad removed which leaves you with a strap that's 3/8-1/2 inch wide. It settles into spot up near my neck and stays there. Its sounds nuts ,I know,but it winds up keeping the weight OFF of my shoulder bones and does NOT rub my neck. It's probably just the way I'm built ,but I've never been more comfortable.:D

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    My experience with the Slider Strap was not a good one. The concept is a good, but the execution of it positions the instrument in a very strange and unnatural way. I suppose if you had some serious back problems and were willing to sacrifice the comfort in your hands and wrists on behalf of your shoulder, it might make sense, but I just don't see it. Better to get yourself a big fat neoprene Comfortt strap and you'll feel like your bass went on Weight Watchers.

Lonnybass