Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Double Stroke" instead of "Double Thumb"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lackey, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey all, a while back I realized double thumb was too difficult to incorporate into my style of slapping. I play with the the thumb slightly pointing downwards, which makes "upstrokes" nigh impossible. So, I started playing with what I can only describe as double strokes, i.e., my thumb slaps the string twice very rapidly. (hit,rebound,hit,pause). I've also managed to squeeze a pluck on the same string in between slaps, enabling me to get fast percussive single string lines, (slap,slap,pluck,..).

Just curious if anyone else has learned this instead of/in addition to the "proper" double thumb technique?

2. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    What you just describes sounds exactly like what I do. This leaves me wondering what "proper thumb technique is".

3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    what you are doing also fits in the technique that wooten often describes, acctually he also encouraged that variation of 2 downstrokes combined with standard double-t in a video lesson, in order to get different rythmic feels. Now doing those 2 downs and the adding a pluck seems pretty nice, I suggest you keep developing that to new levels.