Double tap tempo problem...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by enjoi1018, May 25, 2012.

1. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    Hey guys,

So I've explored this before on TB and TGP to no avail. I've got a Nose Double Tap Tempo pedal, basically a single tap switch with two 1/4" outs on it. I'm trying to use it to sync the time on my Digitech Stereo Jamman and Boss DD7.

Nose Tap Tempo

The whole "normally open" and "normally closed" thing has me a bit puzzled, and here's why:

Through much research and thought I've figured out how to make the Jamman read a tap signal from the tap. It required a mono-to-stereo adaptor to get the single tap TS jack on the tap to work with the TRS jack on the Jamman.

Now both the DD7 and Jamman are getting a tap signal, but the Jamman is on the push of the switch and the DD7 is on the release. It sucks.

I cut an old cheap patch cable laying around and then wired it backwards (i.e. tip-to-sleeve, sleeve-to-tip) thinking that that would "reverse" the polarity and get the Boss to read on the push of the switch. It changed nothing, which I find odd.

What's the best way to get both of these pedals to register the push of the tap? If it's a simple rewire of something inside the tap I'd be down to try some DIY work. But if it's a guess, I'd rather not open the bugger as it voids the warrenty.

Thanks for all your help! I need it!

2. enjoi1018

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    bump!

3. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    I would try contacting NosePedal if you haven't already, they should be able to help you.

If the digitech is designed to use a balanced TRS and all the Nose is designed for is a TS cable then you could be looking at compatibility issue. The Nose may not be compatible with the Jamman.

*Edit: I just looked up the recommended switch for the Jamman and it's the FS3X, which is the same footswitch that I had for my RP1000. It definitely uses a TRS cable and works differently than the Nose Pedal. I'm thinking this is a "no joy" situation.

4. enjoi1018

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    The mono-to-stereo adapter I have allows the Nose to run with the Digitech perfectly now, but it's the Boss that has the backwards polarity issue. I don't want any pedal registering the release of the tap, I want the stomp to set my tempo.

I've tried to contact then twice to no avail. Normally, Aaron is nice and speedy when returning emails, maybe he's just busy.

5. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    The Digitech FS3X uses a normally open switch. The Boss FS5U which is the recommended switch for the DD7 is a switch that will do either normally open, or normally closed.

The Boss DD7 is designed to work with a normally closed switch. A normally open switch will work the tap tempo function but it will only register on the release (which is what you are experiencing).

The JamMan is designed for use with normally open switches, which is why it's working the way you want it to.

You might be able to use a Single Pole Double Throw switch (which is essentially both normally closed and normally open) to get what you're after, but I still don't think you'd get the two tempos to be in perfect sync.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Incompatibility issue. May need to replace one or the other to make it work. I wouldn't try to "trick" either pedal with a frankensteined cable.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021