Double the OHMS power??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I know my heading doesn't make sense...
    But like, if there was an cab that at 8 ohms was 400 watts. And you got another cab that was 8 ohms at like, 200 watts, what would they both be at 4 ohms since they are sharing the 8??

Oh, and what does this mean (AMPEG SVT5pro)
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 340 x 2/1000 (mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms)??
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    If you daisy chain both the cabs together on one channel the load will become 4 ohms, as for your other question, 340x2 is the stereo output of the amp (channel a and b)and the mono bridged is the combining of the two power sections into one.Hope this helps.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The speakers will always be 8-ohm speakers. Their power rating has negligible effect on how much power each one develops when daisy-chained. Both speakers will draw essentially the same current. The load on your amp will be 4 ohms with the two speakers daisy chained.

The other stuff means that the amp will produce up to 340 watts per channel with a 4-ohm load on each channel, and 1,000 watts into a 4-ohm load with both channels bridged mono.

So, if you plug an 8-ohm speaker into each channel, you'll get about 220 watts or so into each speaker. This will work cool as long as you don't fully crank the amp. If you daisy-chain the speakers and set the amp on bridged mono, you will get up to 1,000 watts into the speakers. This is OK, too, but now you have speakers that can handle 600 watts receiving up to 1,000 watts of power. Now you need to be REALLY careful that you don't crank the amp. You will have plenty of headroom, though.
  4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Um, can anyone explain it any simpler?
    So would it be bad if I got a cab that was like, 600 watts, and the other one 1 or 200??
    Just an example.
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    If you run it in bridged mode, yes.

While bridged, each of the cabs may be getting half the 4ohm RMS power of the amp, so you'd have to really keep your volume down to compensate for the 100-200w cab to keep it from getting too much power. If you run it in stereo mode, you can control the volume levels independently, although then one of the cabs would be able to get significantly louder than the other. Either way, it's probably best to get two cabs with a relatively close RMS value and sensitivity, so you can bridge the amp and get the most out of it while not having to worry so much about overpowering one of your cabs.

Does that make sense?
  6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Just a quick note, I dont think the ampeg has independant volume controls
  7. If you're planning things from scratch I guess it would be best if both cabs were rated at the same power. That way you could be sure of getting the maxx out of both of them. If you use a 600 x 8ohm with a 100 x 8ohm they will both draw about the same power from a mono or bridged mono power source. Problem is that the 100 watt cab will start farting out long before the 600 watt. Thus it is best to have them be the same power rating if you are running them from a mono power source. You could however run them from a stereo source and have each cab use its own side of the amp. This way you wouldn't have to worry about over powering one in order to get the maxx out of the other. You could adjust the power with the individual gain controls on the power amp.