Double thumb upstroke: impossible task for me

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by maturanesa, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. i play 100% fingerstyle and sometimes classical guitar technique. Im not into slap so much but im giving a try on double thumb. Since one month of practice im not able to produce an upstroke that sounds equal in volume/quality as a downstroke. It seems my thumb's shape is fairly straight and i cant put preassure on the string when going up. It just slides or get stuck, requiring a lot of strengh with the thumb and wrist in order to produce a single decent note. Generally after practicing for a few minutes the articulation at the thumb and the nail start to hurt a bit.

any tips?

thanx

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    well count yourself lucky, I've tried on and off for years and can't even get the downstroke to work reliably. just a spastic thumb that doesn't bend far enough back at the knuckle.

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    When I do that, the angle of my thumb change a little bit.

Think of your thumb as a pick ... stick your thumb and just do the wirst motion like any pick player would do. This is pretty much it. You want fresh strings and maybe a little bit of compression to do that kind of stuff

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. Pretend your thumb is a pick and try it again. You will still have to build up callous on your thumb. That will take a lot of time and a little discomfort, same as your plucking fingers.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021