Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double thumbing (alternate picking?)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BenHack, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Hey guys

Well I'm trying to incorporate the double thumbing technique into my bags of tricks so that I can play a few lines like Alain Caron (I can dream can't I :D). The problem is I don't know how to use it when moving across strings. Do you use a constantly alternating technique ie up/down even when moving across the strings or do you use a down stroke when moving to the next string.

The problem happens if you play an odd number of notes say 3 on the 'E' string and then play on the 'A' string. Do you play down, up, down, up or down, up, down, down when changing to the "A"string (not really sure if that makes any sense)

On a slightly related note have you heard the MP3 "Basstardising" by Jean-Benoiut on the BASSically.net site. Impressive chops for a 16 year old (not to mention that he's only been playing 5 years). Very Alain Caron inspired. Well gotta go, C-YA and keep groovin'.

Ben

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I guess you should learn it both ways. I don't double thumb that often on bass, but on g****r I often switch between sweep picking (ie. crossing strings using the same type of stroke) and strict alternate. Learning both gives you a greater number of phrasing and left hand fingering options.