Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double thumbing? In the Wrist?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by werbo1, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Hello, I'm trying to learn how to double thumb and am wondering if the motion is all in the wrist

I haven't been slapping much but when i do i usually "slap" or whack the string with the middle joint in my thumb and then pop the next note. I haven't really tried the picking motion with my thumb but have been trying.

My question is, when double thumbing do u use your wrist for the motion or is it really just mving your thumb?

I'm off to practice

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    sorry to say, but there's no "true" answer to this.
    i've seen people do it from the wrist, from the elbow/forearm, and from the thumb.

personally, i use a mix on wrist motion (mostly) and forearm.

out of the well-known bassists, i think victor wooten uses mostly a forearm motion while alain caron plays from the wrist.

3. You want to use your wrist and forearm, but as little wrist as possible to avoid injuries (if you just use your wrist, that's a great way to get you a case of carpal tunnel syndrome). You also want to have your thumb remain as stationary as possible.

4. Quick thread-grabbing question - is it the same part of the thumb you use to slap regularly? The hard joint part, that is, or is it the kinda fleshy tip to the side of the nail?

5. I think the fleshy part is most logical...I found it slightly easier if you "strum or pluck" toward the bass not towards the next string

6. Actually when you're plucking upwards with your thumb, it's across your thumbnail a bit -- in that spot right under your thumbnail.

7. I've tried double thumbing. Although, a simple motion, it's not easy to be consistant. What I have a problem doing is consistently catching the string on the up stroke. As a result the thumbing sounds a bit choppy.

8. thump326

thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    what does "double thumbing" mean? It is using your thump as a pick? I play like that a lot, i always thought it was a poor "slaping" technique.

I lightly pinch the last knuckles of my thumb and index finger together like i'm holding an imaginary pickand play like a pick guitarist. I also use my index to pop on the high strings.

Another weird thing i do is strum the strings by opening and closing a fist, lightly brushing the strings with the tips of my fingers and thumb. Someone told me it looked like i was playing flamenco guitar.

9. Well using your thum as a pick, to some extent. But it's slappy. It's almost like slapping and popping with your thumb, one after another in a smooth motion, kind of like strumming with a pick. I'm not very good at it myself but I think it's more logical to make it a forearm thing. You can hurt your wrist with repeated wrist motion.