Double Thumbing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Doug J. Needles, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Should you just move your thumb up and down for it, or is it alright to move the whole hand? Also, When doing the triplets, I sometimes don't hear the the second note when I do them. I know I played all three but, but it just sounds like I played two notes. Like the root then the octave instead of root root octave. Do the triplets end up sounding better with more practice? or is something wrong with my technique? Thanks in advance!
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Basically I just move my thumb, very little overall hand movement. But do whatever works and feels comfortable to you. There are no rules to playing techniques as far as I'm concerned. To quote an old coworker of mine: "Whatever it takes, brothah!"
  3. Watch Victor Wooten for the textbook way to do double-thumbing. He's the best at it.

It sounds like you just need to clean up your technique for your triplets. If you know you're hitting all three and you're not hearing one, than they're not ringing out clearly. Just try to work on cleaning up your technique. It will come with practice. :)