double thump:saw the vid, still dont understand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rusmannx, Jun 9, 2002.

1. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i saw the video wooten did with that other long haired solo playing guy that doesn't know his string names.

wooten slowed down the double thump, and the open hammer pop.

i'm still unable to reproduce it. :(

2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I guess you have a way to go before you're as good as Vic, why don't you start by buying a Fodera.
    :p Developing new techniques take time, practice, practice, practice. Vic started playing when he was 2.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    what does everyone have against steve bailey?
    he's a good player, but whatever.
    I got a fodera, and I must say that helped my double thump quite a bit. but your bass isn't everything, there are a few things to consider(vic should have covered these, but I am stressing them)
    1, keep relaxed, don't tense up, and don't get frustrated...its a tricky trick and not one easily mastered
    2, use the economy of motion, let your thumb fall through the string and then just bring it back through the string, as if the string wasn't there
    3, start small, don't expect to be busting "classical thump" after a week of double thump practice(at least not how vic does it)run through scales, finger training rudiments, and songs you know(that aren't super complex) start slow and steady making sure to make every hit a double thump hit so that you can make it as natural as walking or bossa grooves :)
    4, practice on every string. practice as much as possible.

give your self intense practice periods focused soley on double thump, make it as natural as you can in the intial few weeks, then work on refining it for the next [insert the rest of your life here]

enjoy....I'm still learning this technique, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it now.
  4. notnuffsleep

notnuffsleep Guest

Jun 5, 2002
    San Dimas CA
    There's an MPEG on under lessons that has various thumbstyle techniques, not sure i saw the double. anyway, the way i can explain it is instead of bouncing off the string with your thumb, just graze it and set yourself up for the upstroke. i suggest putting lacquer on your thumbnail cuz it WILL take a lot of abuse.