Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double thump?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Hey
    I've been reading up on some different techniques and stuff and what exactly is a double thump and do you guys know any sites where they havee examples or sort of have tutorials?

Thx in advance
    Ken

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Double thump is using your thumb to play both down and up strokes while slapping. Go to www.victorwooten.com and there should be some stuff on it.

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I thought double thump meant to slap the string twice very quickly with downstrokes of the thumb.

I thought playing up and downstrokes whilst slapping was called double thumb.

I could be wrong -- I am a husband after all

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've heard it called both.

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Hey also do you guys know any lessons that i could download to help me improve on my bass playing.(slap technique mostly)?

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    JimmyM gave you a great link to go to in his post.

Also look down the list in this here BG Instruction Forum. Right off the bat I see three or four threads about slap DVDs and instruction tips.

Have fun my friend! I usually rely on boring ol' books :jk:

7. Riku

Riku

Dec 27, 2005
    This is a video I found yesterday, and I think it's quite good.

8. That video inspired me to check out some 30 second Marcus Miller iTunes previews, and I think I may just have to buy "Silver Rain" now. :eek:

Good instructional video too, I'm learning Double Thump from it right now.

9. eekmo

eekmo

Feb 13, 2004
    Sachse, TX
    I was somewhat disappointed by Silver Rain. M2 is much better IMHO.

10. concreteeden

concreteeden

Jan 4, 2006

Seas!

This Video isn't really good at all!
    The bassist makes lots of mistakes in the techniques and
    many things he covered from vic's and jaco's original Videos!
    He plays Classical Thumb (victor wooten) and Power (Marcus Miller) and some some notes aren't right!
    I do not think it is from advantage that he presents different techniques and songs wrongly on a so-called trainingbound shows.
    So, if you like playing such things Victor Wooten's original is much better than that!!
    You can download it from limewire or buy it by amazon, and its called ''lesson on technique'' (Not the Bass Extremes teching Video with Steve bailey)

Have Fun!

greetz
    chris