double thumpin

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by mmuel817, Mar 30, 2004.

1. ive been playing for four years now, and i feel pretty conifident about taking my bassing to the next level. however, i have an ibanez gsr205, cheap yes, but works good enough for me cuz i dont have much money. i love slapping, and would like to double slap. i can kinda do it on my brothers four string bass, but i cant on my five string because it seems the strings are a little closer together. i cant get my thumb to fit in there right, i was wondering if there is an alternative way to slap. i found that rotating from the wrist and hitting my pinky lower on the string works, but i can switch strings when im doing it so i cant really do any little runs or anything. and the tone isnt the best cuz im slapping so low every other note. id like your advice, or direction to find advice. thank you in advance!
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I'm sure Mike will be around soon to answer your question, but since I spend 2 hours a day trolling this site, I may be able to help you.

There's a search button at the top of the screen. Run a search for 'slap technique' and I'm sure you'll find a gazillion things because I know this subject has been discussed to death.
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Watch the great slappers, particularly Victor Wooten - pay attention to the right hand and notice that there is ABSOLUTELY NO extra motion. It is all about control. There is no reason that you cannot slap or double thump on the 5 string - it is all about developing control, developing the needed muscles and muscle memory. Work on developing smaller, more efficient and controlled movement with the right hand. Here is a really great exercise for developing that control.
    It was shown to me by the great Randy Coven back in 1979. It does not speak directly to double thumpin but it does speak to getting a great deal of control over the right hand slap technique