Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

double thumping sounds

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Jun 17, 2004.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    hey there i've been trying to get in on this double thumping buzz, but the slapping part requires you to hold your thumb almost parallel to the strings i normally slap with my thumb almost perpendicular to the strings, when i double thump i dont quite get the same "hard slap" sound that i usually get when i slap with my thumb perpendicular to the strings the sound i do get is a little softer. Am i just doing it wrong or is this softness just an intrinsic part of the double thumb sound? Any help would be appreciated :help:

2. You can still double-thump with your thumb perpendicular to the strings. In fact, I find there to be no disadvantage to slapping with it that way. Here's what you do:

Slap a string, except let your thumb hit it and then stay by the very side of the string. Then pull the string up again with the tip/fingernail of your thumb. After you get good at that then you can add a pop after the double-thumb to form a triplet.

Actually here's some other tricks that you can only do when slapping perpendicular:

1. Right hand slap mute: rotate your hand the opposite direction as you do when you slap, hitting the strings with the side of your hand. It should make a little muted 'pop' sound. This technique is a lot like the left hand slap except translating it to the right hand.

2. Thumb/pinky alternating: slap with your thumb, and then pop the same string with your pinky afterwards, keeping your pinky relaxed. Rotating your wrist, you can alternate between thumb and pinky extremely fast.

Hope this helps!

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Im not quite sure i follow you with this perpendicular double thump does the thumb actually follow through the string. do you slap and then follow through on the top side of the string, as in the side closest to your head as opposed to underneath when you double thump parrallel. Or have i got it wrong?

4. Well, when you thump perpendicular-wise, you can still bring your thumb underneath the string like you do in the perpendicular way. But don't plan on actually having your thumb directly under the string after the thump -- that'd be pretty difficult to do and manage to have the string ring afterwards instead of muting it. What you do is only move your thumb down just a bit, but more to the side (towards your chest). Then take your thumb and pop it back up, using the tip of your thumb.

It's a pretty great technique -- double thumping. I don't really use it these days because of that thumb/pinky thing. I also am able to generate a fast double thump sound by simply rapidly slapping the string twice consecutively. So what'd probably be more useful for you to learn is the "triple-thump" -- adding an index finger pop after the double-thump to form a fast triplet.

Just mess around with it and find what works for you best -- sounds the coolest, and is the most relaxed. :)