Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Thumping Techniques?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jamescalvin, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    Does anyone know of any double thumping techniques? I have no idea how that works. Well, I have an idea but I can't really get the sound I'm looking for. A link to something would be ideal but if someone could try to explain in depth, that would be cool to.

2. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    its basically using your thumb like a pick. Do the regular thumb downstroke and then strike it from underneath with your thumbnail on the way up.

I find it drastically helps if your thumbnail has a little (no too much) bit of length to it. It takes a little while to get your sound clean and stop getting caught on the string but it's just practice. Practice scales with it and basic 16th or 8th note pumping licks.

I'm sure there are other threads on this that might tell you more. Victor wooten and stanley clarke are masters of this technique

3. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    OK, maybe I'm thinking of something else then. From what you described, I'm a little faimilar with the double thump. Maybe what I'm thinking of is slapping. What is this guy doing in this video: http://media.putfile.com/Jamming70

That's more or less what I'm trying to figure out.

4. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    well double thump is a particular slap technique, I don't think that guy is doing any double thumps though. He's appears to be doing more regular slap and pop

5. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yup...

There's no double-thumb technique used in that video at all... just straight standard slap&pop.

6. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    OK, I'll look up slap&pop techniques then.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nice!

Makes me want to go home and practice!

No Double-thumps in that one, but lots of nice popping.

Joe

8. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    I'll second that emotion. I really liked the chord progression in that little jam.

9. Some very nice slapwork in that vid... musical too.