1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double thumping vs double slapping

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by iwearpumas, Mar 18, 2013.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I was watching one of your videos and you were double thumping (down and up) with your thumb. Is there a difference between the double thumping and the double slapping (when you just slap the string twice with your thumb)? Or at the end of the day, its the same result?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    First, I have to tell you that I use the word 'slap' to mean thump. The original players of this style, including myself, still refer to this style of playing as 'Thumping and Plucking'. This style of playing didn't start getting referred to as 'Slapping' until it made it to the suburbs and academia.

I use the word 'slap' for the percussive attack that I do with my left hand, and sometimes with my right hand. Basically all of the components are name after how you strike the string and drum articulations.

peace,
    anthony

3. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Ok. I guess the "bounce back" style of thumping. Is there a significant difference in a double bounce back thumping as to the regular strum down and up thumping?

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Efficiency

5. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Which do you think is more efficient. I think I have small thumbs, and my thumbs are straight, not curved. I've never been able to pull-up thump. Maybe its my string spacing.

6. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Not bouncing is more efficient. It's an 'analog' motion.

and my thumbs are straight too. That's an advantage for thumping.

-aw

7. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Wow, I never knew that. Time for me to practice. Thanks Ant, you are very helpful.

8. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Think of a pendulum, or drumming. It's a 'reciprocating' motion. The pendulum swing evenly in both direction. And with a drummer, the amount of time and travel going up and down are even. They don't bounce. It's not efficient.

Same with a thump. I can usually hear the time discrepancies when people bounce when they thump. It's a less controlled motion. It's just beating up the bass!

-aw