double tracked bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 19, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I just ran a wild experiment here in the home studio, and it came out great! You've probably heard of double tracking vocals to make them fatter, well, I just double tracked the bass for one of my tunes. Boy, talk about FAT...

Has anyone else done this? Are there any recordings with double tracked bass?

My experiment came out so well that I might try it again. I submixed the two original tracks first, then applied a light compression to the combined track. It's a very interesting sound, it has a lot of "breathing" in it (not the compressor kind, but the bass kind). It's heavy stuff, beautifully thick. Very intricate sounding, and heady.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was going to post a thread similar to this. I was wondering if Rob Trujillio does that on the Infectious Grooves Sarsipius (sp?) Ark. It kinda sounds like there is two bass tracks, one slightly panned, but I'm not good at hearing that kind of stuff.

Sounds like something I'd have to experiment with. Cool beans.
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I ALWAYS double track bass. Very common practice.

One track DI.

One track miked cab.
  4. Mick Karn often does it on his solo albums- panned hard left and right.

Sting often doubled his electric lines with The Police with upright (EUB or acoustic) bass.
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Don't some tracks on Angel Dust by Faith No More have multiple bass tracks as well?
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jaco did this *a lot*
  7. On my band's recording I had two feeds into the board: one DI and one mic on my cab. The engineer "blended" them together in the control room. I was really pleased with the tone. I can't actually double track, though, because I never play the same thing twice. :D
    If you want to hear it recorded, our mp3s are at
  8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, it's nice to know I'm on the right track (yuk). This is one of those things, like when you think you've made an exciting discovery (maybe "by accident"), only to find out later that the rest of the world already knew about it hundreds of years ago. :)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's common practice. Does anyone else do this regularly?
  9. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I can't count how many times I thought I came up with something new&cool only to find out that someone else was doing it much better and long before me as well..... :oops: *got used to the taste of humble-pie*

I have done it fairly regularly. Using multiple basses and amp/direct combinations.... Sting is really good at it. Jaco was great at it too. "Continuum" on his first record is a great example.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I have been doing it a bit with my latest recordings. Also I've started to take quite a liking to a light chorus effect. it really fills up my tone something fierce.
  11. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It's important to note the diff between actual double-tracking, and a dual-input recording setup.

The latter can provide great tonal flexibility, but you have to watch out for phunky phase issues. It can ruin your hairdo, alright. If you get it right though, it's like buttah.

While I had always heard the tone of a double-bass in certain Police tunes, I just assumed it was one or the other -- not both. It's very interesting to learn that Sting and Jaco would double-track their parts at times. I would be willing to bet the a certain Mr. Claypool has utilized that little trick on a few occasions as well.

This opens up a huge vista of recording ideas..... I think I buy some!
  12. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Jaco would overdub unison parts on his fretless to give that chorusy/singing sound. He did it to great effect on Pat Metheny's "Bright Size Life." (Midwestern Nights Dream was the track) It really adds to the phrasing.

13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Double, HAH. I tripled it the last time in the studio and FAT is the word. I DI'd, Mic'd Cab, and Ran a room mic about 5 feet from my cab. Got great natural chorus effect outta that.