Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

double, triple stops

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ironchuck, Jul 28, 2002.

1. ironchuck

ironchuck

Jul 28, 2002
    Guatemala
    can anyone tell me what the heck do the terms "double" and "triple stops" mean? I read about them everywhere and I don´t know what they are!:mad:

2. double stops = two notes played together
    triple stop = chord

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    A double stop is 2 notes played at a time. A triple stop is 3 notes played at a time. I would say the most popular are playing the root and octave. Or root, 5th, and octave in a triple stop. Wide intervals sound the best.

I have an exercise using double stops. (Sorry, not sure what book it's from, it's a photocopy my teacher gave me.) This uses Major and Minor Tenths on the E and G strings and goes through the modes and a couple other scales, such as Whole-Tone. For example: start with G Ionian. Play that mode and then the major or minor 10th intervals: G/B (major), A/C (minor), B/D (minor), and so on. This says to pluck the strings with your thumb and 1st finger. For some reason, I find plucking with my thumb and middle finger easier. *shrugs*.

Anyway, you might want to have a look around Mike Dimin's forum if you are interested in double/triple stops, and the chordal approach to bass. :)

(And, heh, there is always the debate on what exactly denotes a chord. I still have not made my decision, as both sides of the debate have wise opinions :confused: :D)

Cheers,
    Stephanie

4. ironchuck

ironchuck

Jul 28, 2002
    Guatemala