1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

double, triple stops

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ironchuck, Jul 28, 2002.

1. ironchuck

ironchuck

Jul 28, 2002
    Guatemala
    can anyone tell me what the heck do the terms "double" and "triple stops" mean? I read about them everywhere and I don´t know what they are!:mad:

2. double stops = two notes played together
    triple stop = chord

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    A double stop is 2 notes played at a time. A triple stop is 3 notes played at a time. I would say the most popular are playing the root and octave. Or root, 5th, and octave in a triple stop. Wide intervals sound the best.

I have an exercise using double stops. (Sorry, not sure what book it's from, it's a photocopy my teacher gave me.) This uses Major and Minor Tenths on the E and G strings and goes through the modes and a couple other scales, such as Whole-Tone. For example: start with G Ionian. Play that mode and then the major or minor 10th intervals: G/B (major), A/C (minor), B/D (minor), and so on. This says to pluck the strings with your thumb and 1st finger. For some reason, I find plucking with my thumb and middle finger easier. *shrugs*.

Anyway, you might want to have a look around Mike Dimin's forum if you are interested in double/triple stops, and the chordal approach to bass. :)

(And, heh, there is always the debate on what exactly denotes a chord. I still have not made my decision, as both sides of the debate have wise opinions :confused: :D)

Cheers,
    Stephanie

4. ironchuck

ironchuck

Jul 28, 2002
    Guatemala