Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

double / triple stops

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jeff2287, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    What exactly is a double-stop or a triple-stop? I've seen this term used before but have no idea what it means. Thank you :)

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    A double-stop is two notes played at the same time. With a triple-stop, you play three at the same time. Watch out, this is "chord/not a chord" ground. Do a quick search of GI for double stops and you will see what I mean. :)

3. I'm not sure about this but I think a double or triple-stop is two or three notes plucked simultaneously with two or three fingers, while a chord is produced by "raking" the strings with one finger or a pick. Is this right? Anyway, I use both techniques and they are part of my sound.

4. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    How does technique dictate a chord and a double-stop? Shouldn't it just be considered a chord regardless of how it's produced? What about classical guitarists who play with their fingernails? Does this rule apply to them as well?

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  6. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Now I know I am not the most knowledgable person here so if I am wrong some one please correct me. It is to the best of my knowledge that a double stop(two notes sounding at the same time) Is maybe more aptly refered to as a diad. It does not matter how both notes are played. A triple stop would be a chord or possably a triad(a chord consisting of the root 3rd and 5th) A chord is simply three or more notes sounding at the same time. It does not matter how they are played.

7. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Something about chords I'm a little fuzzy about. Are two notes played simultaniously considered a chord, or is the minimum number of notes three? I've heard differently from different sources and don't know who's right or wrong.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It takes at least three notes to make a chord. Two notes does not give enough information to define a chord.