1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double trouble

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Remyd, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    It just so happens that I got calls for two different tryouts tonight. My chops are only in fair shape, so I was more than a little worried.

One fellow was a Spanish guy who wants to play contemporary acoustic covers of pop songs from the 60s and 70s with violin, acoustic and vocal harmonies. I thought I did at least an OK job, we had a couple of good moments working and if we rehearse a little I think it could really be something quite professional and ready to get in some short time. Did that one on DB, but he asked about my rig too. I hadn't made it the 5 miles home before I got a pretty impressive text message booking me for next Saturday!

That was bad ass.

I am currently waiting on the second guy, a doubling gig for adult contemporary; think Norah Jones. He's a good guitar player, who recruited a chick singer. I have heard the singer, and if she's half as good in person as she is in recordings I would love to be her bass player.

I'm stoked! Nothing puts you in a better frame of mind for an audition, than an audition.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Nice going. I have one tommarrow country covers. I'm playing what I know on their setlist and that's it. Hope it works out.

Jimmy4string and Remyd like this.
  3. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    So, this other guy kind of sucked. He had an unoriginal voice and unoriginal songs with unoriginal lyrics that were named originals. We played none of the nine songs that he mention in our original conversation. None. I had four of those worked up to a fairly advanced level. Did not get to use them. He wasn't willing to play them without the singer there. *sniff*

His feelings were obviously hurt when I rejected him. I didn't like his music enough, and since this wasn't going to be that profitable of endeavor, and I didn't really care for the guy too much. We had exactly none of the three major requirements to have a successful project.

So, 50% is a much better record than my usual 0.0000001%.

If I manage not to go down in flames I might post a gig report. If there is a fiasco I will probably post a gig report.

dbase, Tbone76, Jimmy4string and 4 others like this.
  4. It's nice to be appreciated and wanted, even if the feeling is not shared.
    Best of fortune!

ak56 likes this.
  5. The 60's and 70's covers with a minimal band sounds like fun. I used to play coffee shops with a friend on acoustic and me (usually) on upright. sometime another guitar or, occasionally, a fantastic fiddle player. It was a lot of fun.

Remyd likes this.
  6. Yep, that sounds good.

7. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm seriously considering doing another band thread - but there are many a$$holes, so I'm on the fence.

What do you guys think? Just got the set list...