1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by amerbs38, Oct 8, 2013.

1. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I just got a 1975 Pedulla-Orsini 4 string bass and found it has 2 truss rods with what looks like 5/16" nuts on each one (I haven`t gotten a wrench yet). I`ve never dealt with a 2 truss rod neck before and before I mess with it I wanted to see if there`s anything I need to know about adjusting one of these...Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Nothing really special about having two truss rods. Those are two classic Gibson-style single acting rods. Yes, those nuts should be 5/16". Use a long, thin-walled nut driver on them, or you can use a small 1/4" drive ratchet, extension and socket. Gently....

The main thing is that they should both be adjusted to about the same tension. When adjusting them, work back and forth, a little at a time, keeping them about equal. You should only tighten one more than the other if you are deliberately trying to correct a twist problem.

Looking at your picture, what worries me is why one rod is sticking out through the nut and the other isn't. That doesn't look good.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Looks like all the raw wood has been milled out long after 1975. My thought is that the rod had been broken and they hogged out just enough wood to get a nut on the busted rod and save the bass.

4. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thanks for the info!

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There are two styles of double truss rod, perpendicular and parallel. Jerzy Drozd's setup guide explains both of them, you can find it in one of the setup stickies. I would be my bottom dollar these run parallel, so whatever you do to one, do to the other. When I had a double truss rod bass I always intended to pick up one of those gauges that tells you how much pressure you are using so I could get it a little more accurately than eyeballing it, but I sold the bass and never looked back. I prefer a single truss rod for simplicity.