1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double Wound Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GC34, Mar 16, 2013.

1. GC34

GC34

Nov 25, 2012
    I know guitar strings are single wound. Are bass strings double wound?

2. depending on the gauge...yes...

3. GC34

GC34

Nov 25, 2012

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    It all depends on string brand and type...

DR for example had 6 windings in their 105 string.

5. GC34

GC34

Nov 25, 2012
    Does being double wound strengthen the string? Does it make it stronger?

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Strength relies on the core size. TO have more windings on a thinner string the core will need to be thinner weakening the string. However if smaller diameter wrap wire is used like on the Dr E strings you can have more windings on a larger core.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    A great example...

A 020 plain steel string is all core..
    A 020wound string has one winding around a thin core..

The 020w is weaker.

8. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Generally, more windings on a thinner core produces a stronger FUNDAMENTAL... (all things being equal which they rarely are) - It does also give a more flexible FEEL, even if the tension at tuning is the same.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR Hellborgs are single winding on a huge round core. Nothing BUT fundamental!

10. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Exactly! Round core = not = to hex core, another variable that achieves the same result. They have cool tension too. They use a round core and single wrap, a design which produces a STRONGER fundamental than the HARMONIC. Also, to a lesser degree, hex cores tend to emphasize ODD ORDER harmonics while round cores tend to favor EVEN ORDER harmonics. If you play a variety of styles, as I do, you could find yourself using several different strings on your instruments... possibly even specific to the gig.

11. Odd order harmonics produce a more triangular wave (growly)... Even order would probably sound a little more "hollow".

Bear in mind, these would be varying "shades" of one or the other and not extreme

12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I thought, going by that packing it was 3 windings, but when you measure across the string to get the gauge each winding is counted twice.

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I've never heard this before, but I'm intrigued. Source?

14. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I have to do this, not because I understand (or even knew about) the difference between the types of cores, but rather because I like to use high tension strings most of the time but sometimes have to work gigs doing some disco-style slap bass and need something "slinky" and bright-sounding.

There's so much nuance imparted by the strings, not to mention how different types can cause you to play differently... I never, EVER thought about this stuff before I joined TB. I just rocked my P bass with flats and swapped them for rounds when needed. You guys are blowing my mind!

15. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Tech data from various mfg. who use both types of cores. TI is one of them. Also, while training to be a Piano Tuner and a string winder, I learned about inharmonics and a whole bunch of stuff that we don't need to cloud our heads with. It's hard enough finding the time to play!

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    My non-music life consists of hardcore math and instrument-related physics. Filling my head with deep, potentially meaningless information is what I do best. :)

17. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Very cool. I will send you some cool reference links in Planck Time.

18. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    As a scientist, I'm really digging this thread. :)

Ian: If you wouldn't mind, please also hit me up with some references via PM. I'm a scientist who deals with math professionally and acoustics (for music). I've got a varied collection of basses that I use and I string them very differently. I'd love to have some scientific background for why what works where (or doesn't). I've probably tried a several dozen string types over 32 years of bass playing.

Thanks in advance!

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, that's a bold claim, it needs some backup!