Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double-yoo-tee-eff moment #12,535

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 4, 2004.

1. http://www.nme.com/news/109324.htm

I really feel that they will only take this movie and show it in select cities, because most of the current world now doesn't know that Joy Division. I can see alot of people my age walking out and thinking "Well that sucked." and not liking the music. But, again, I have an elitest mindset when it comes to the music I listen to. What are the thoughts of everyone else on this?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There probably isn't much footage around, but I'd rather see a documetary about Joy Division than a "recreation".

"Lord Only" knows that Hollywood would put things in the movie it doesn't need in an attempt to capture as much market share as possible.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

....doesn't know that Joy Division..what? :confused:

4. Who's Joy Division? :confused:

... is she a nice lady? :D

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It was an 80's band that eventually evolved into New Order. They were pretty groundbreaking in their day.

Maybe you could try googling it. :p

Hey, FF, It's "elitist". :D

6. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not sure it is even possible to have an elitist minsdset about this music..?

So 'elitist' is an adjective drived from the concept of elitism :

1 : leadership or rule by an elite
    2 : the selectivity of the elite; especially : SNOBBERY 1 <elitism in choosing new members>
    3 : consciousness of being or belonging to an elite
    - elit·ist /-'lE-tist/ noun or adjective

OK - you can be a musical snob, but most people can only listen to music put out by record companies - so Joy Division's records sold in the hundreds of thousands - hardly an elite!

Unless you have private access to otherwise unavailable recordings and refuse to listen to anything else but these...? :meh:

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think you are over analyzing this, I think he meant he likes what he likes, whether or not it is mainstream or popular. Not that Joy Division or the other bands he likes are more "elite" than another form of music.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Well he asked for our thoughts - those were mine, based on what was actually said!! ;)

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    True, :D ; that being said I think Hollywood will butcher and dramatize whatever the movie covers.

10. Bruce Lindfield

I think the point is that Joy Division are a very well-known and influential band - many people have done cover versions of their songs and after Ian Curtis' death, the album 'Closer' did very well in the charts and stayed there for a long time.

The single "Love will Tear us Apart", also did pretty well for record sales and has been voted No 1 single of all time in many polls - even as recently as a 2003 NME poll!

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Why is this film being made again?

12. Bruce Lindfield

It seems it's a book deal - the book of the life of Ian Curtis, is being made into a film.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Ian Curtis is one of the most important figures in the history of music"

?????????????????????

I assume you all saw "24 Hour Party People" already, that was a fun flick.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i think he meant that joy division is L337. and he is L337357.

15. Actually, I ment that I think I should be the only one listening to it, because everyone else wouldn't credit me with giving them the music.

16. Ah, 80's, no wonder. I was only born in '87. :D Youngin!

I know of New Order, though.

Thanks. :smug:

17. Bruce Lindfield

Why on earth should they?? :confused:

18. Because Bruce, I am a teenager who has no life at all, and is also an attention whore! I've been here how long, and you still don't know that?

19. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    shut up bruce. don't you know that joy division are only listened to by the most indie of goth indie screamo emo people, who own not one, not two, not three... but 9 bajillion vinyls!!!!!! :mad: shame on you. shame on you.

20. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    "...doesn't know that joy division."... huh? are you saying most people don't know about that band. hahahahaha.