1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double-you-tee-eff Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I picked up a Squier VM P Bass for silly cheap off of CL, so I decided to make it into my guinea pig for pickup swaps, routing, and whatever other experiments I come up with. I smoothed out some bumps in the neck, threw on a waterslide which I had laying around forever, and was off to the races.

Tonight I mounted a GFS hot Strat bridge pickup (10K) in it which I had laying around doing nothing. It really surprised the hell out of me! Punchy, clear, and growly. I might even gig with this set up for a bit.

Next I'm thinking of mounting dual guitar humbuckers in it or, better yet, P90's! Don't be afraid to think outside the box, you might come up with some amazing tones!

photo-17.
    photo-18.

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    That is interesting, bud. :D

3. Didn't the original Telecaster bass have a 6 pole guitar pickup? Or maybe it was an older Mustang? Don't remember.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had a couple of Carvin basses in the late '70s that used what looked to be LP (6 string) humbuckers. Problem was the E and G strings were just outside the magnetic field unless you brought the pickup real close to the strings, but that created other problems.

5. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Cool! Try a DiMarzio PAF/Super Distortion combo if you go with 2 guitar humbuckers :)

6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    You could have a field day trying all kinds of guitar pickups in a bass, and you know, I'd bet MOST of them would sound pretty good!

I especially would be trying any "blade" type pickups to avoid pole alignment issues.

Another thought: an entire "strat" setup, three strat pickups, five way switch. A REAL strato-bass!

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, the Musicmaster had a guitar pickup, I know that for sure. That pickguard situation sort of reminds me of when attempted to do a "Jaco-fication" on my 83 Jazz. The de-fretting turned-out great but unfortunately the Jazz had a one piece plastic guard, no matter how I trimmed it it looked bad to me. I'm glad there was no internet back then.

8. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    The Squier Affinity Bronco comes with a
    strat pup and really sounds kind of weak,

12-7-4-1.

I went the opposite direction and put a
    P bass pup in north of the sweet spot.

It sounds real nice,

Here Petey is next to his big brother,

12-14-1.

12-14-4.