Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doubled and Tripled string roll call!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, May 20, 2002.

1. 8 strings, doubled 4

29 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. 12 strings, tripled 4

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. 10 string, doubled 5

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. 15 strings, tripled 5

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. 12 strings, doubled 6

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 18 strings, tripled 6

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, I am loving my Hamer 12 string more and more, and I want to see who else out there is playing a monster with doubled or tripled strings!:)

I know gruffpuppy has(or had) a 12, and SilvermaneZ has that insane Warrior 15 string, who else has an 8, 12, 15, etc?

This poll is multiple choice, so vote for every doubled or tripled string monster that you have!

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I play a 15 string fretless,and Im having another one made.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Galveston 12. Sounds OK but the neck dive is so horribly bad that it's unplayable. I'll be selling it when I get around to it.

Maybe I'll have to get a V-Bass to cover that sonic territory. . .yeah, that's the ticket. . . :)

4. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I guess Jauqo forgot to vote in the poll, because I am the only 15 string on there.

If anyone is looking for more multi-string info, go to www.12stringbass.com and check out their stuff. Especially check out some of the rigs that people have for their 12 stringers. Tri-amped, 3 different amps for each signal, guitar combo amps for the high end distortion, crazy stuff. Check it out.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    played an hamer 12 chapparal import and loved to death. it could be a great addition to ny basses!!!

6. Dave C

Dave C

May 20, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I have a Hamer 12 also, and I love it. It even sounds great unplugged. I'm not too thrilled with the pickups though, I may change them at some point.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thanks Silvermanz,for reminding me I just placed my vote.

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I've got a Dean Rhapsody 8 in the more rare transparent black finish. I don't play it a lot, but I do use it on a couple of my band's songs when we decide to play them.

-KB

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Just getting into 8 string, really enjoying it!

I was hoping the V bass might enable me to emulate it on any bass, but so far it ain't happening. The pitch shifting is not working out for me. Very artificial sounding.
    I'm still waiting for the GK2b pickup they forgot to send me, so I'm really hoping that clears up the issues, but I don't expect it to...
    Looks like I'll have to hang on to the Dean Rhap 8.

Nice Time Bandits content, KB

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC

:D :D :D :D

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sooo. . .without the GK2b, how are you doing it? Just plugging in mono? I'll be pretty disappointed if it can't do good multi-string sounds.

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm using the 1/4 input on the V, stereo out...so I'm getting the amps/cabs and effects, but no bass/p'up/polyphonic effects. I'm hoping the polyphonic pitchshift is better for what I'm trying to do, but I won't know till the GK2b shows up.

The effects are all pretty nice, except the PShifter.
    I'm loving the OD/distortions, esp on the 8 string.
    It does a very respectable Big Muff pi impression.
    I also like the phaser and delay on the 8. I'd try the harmonizer but it just doesn't seem to be able to keep up.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure the actual polyphonic pitch shift should be better...it is on the VG8...I'll report if I ever get the GK p'up.

13. I used to own an 8 string Ric...loved it to death..but got strapped for cash one day and was forced too sell it.I still cry myself to sleep.hopefully someday soon I will get another.I must admit that I been eyeballin the Dean rahpsody 8 & 12 string models(love the body style not to mention the price)

14. I am not quite sure but I think mine might be a 12.:D

[​IMG]

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm gonna get a 15...only I'm gonna be different! I'm gonna get a 3 string with 5 course! YEAH!

;)

16. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Kind of on the topic.... I remember reading an interview with Scott Ian of Anthrax years ago, maybe around the "Persistence of Time" album. He said that Jackson Guitars, who he was endorsing at the time, was going to build him a 9 string guitar. The E,A, and D were all going to be doubled, and then the G,B, and high E would be normal. Apparantly he was trying to find some way to make all his live rhythm parts even heavier.

17. I have a Washburn B20-8 8 string.

18. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I have been singing the praises of the Dean Rhapsody 8-string for ages now.

In my current band, I rarely (if ever) get a chance to give it a good workout. But I still love it. And the Dean is a great instrument. Extremely well made with great features.

Like KB's (as mentioned above), mine is also in the less common "Trans Black" finish.

I really enjoy the 8-string because of the challenges presented for playing technique. I'm forcing myself to use a pick to fully capitalize on all the tonal possibilities available -- upstrokes only (heavy bass); light downstrokes only (octave strings soloed); heavy downstrokes (the full 8-string effect).

It's a keeper.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I played a birthday party this past weekend, and I wound up using the 12 on a lot more songs than I intended to. Used a bit of distortion, and that tone just killed!

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I should be picking this up on Friday if the octave tuners showed up like they were supposed to:

[​IMG]

It'll be fretless, too. I can't wait!