doubled string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insomnia_Junkie, Aug 14, 2005.

1. like the 8 and the 10 string where it has groups of 2 strings are they meant to be played seperate or together? and if together would it be the same sound as a regular single set of strings?

-Thanks =)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're meant to be played together, so you get a chorusy, lush sound with the string, and it's octave played at the same time. You CAN however, play just one string or the other.
  3. Do many bassists use that many strings for that effect, it seems kinda impractical making a whole bass just for that? lol can you even fret one string when their that close?
  4. Listen to the "stoned again" mix of "return of the space cowboy" by Jamiroquai - Stuart Zender plays an awsome Warwick 8 string on that track, and it has a kind of gritty finger funk sound.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  6. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Kings X as well.

A friend of mine has a few 8 stringed Rickenbachers. Different indeed. Just like having a 12 stringed guitar.
  7. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Can you play them with your fingers?? or only with picks?
    Do they impair speed alot?
  8. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Hamer made a couple of 12 string Precision basses for Billy Sheehan and he's a finger style player. And Robert Trulillo also has a couple of eight string basses which he plays with his fingers

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Two pictures of Billy Sheehan's custom Hamer.
  9. This one can be played with fingers quite easily..

This one can't....

The 8 has good string spacing and is actually comfy to play with fingers. The 12er needs a pick nearly all the time.

I wouldn't say you can consistently avoid hitting both strings at once on either of mine, unless you just do upstrokes. Well nigh impossible for me!!!

Hope this helps.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "Half Past Dead" by Overkill is a great example of a double stringed bass in action!
  11. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    O.K. This is kind of my playground. Being an active 8-stringer and a former Hamer 12-stringer, these basses are very useful in a rock 3-piece setting, as you can chord and do double duty, play rhythm guitar and bass guitar at the same time without the band sounding small and tiny.

With practice you can play just the low octave string with a pick or your fingers as an upstroke, but can make a massive sound doing a downstroke and hitting the octave string or strings.

You can also retune one of the paired strings for a different sound. A 12 is normally tuned eeE, aaA. ddD, and ggG.
    But I used to tune my 12 with the middle octave string a fifth up for almost instant power chords.

And by the way, my Hamer was a short scale and I was able to play just the bass strings on upstroke, but I have thin long fingers.

My main bass is a Brice HXB- 608....I really want the fretless one now :hyper:
  12. So would you guys recommend buying an 8 string instead of a four string if I had extra cash to burn? or is it like 6 string basses where you just buy them for the extra versatility???
  13. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    No!!! dont bye a 8 or a 12 unless you Really need it...a regular 4 string can give you all you need in a full band, and some guitarist hate 8 strings, but as a ex guitarist I like stepping on their toes.

If your new at bass get a good 4 or 5 string thats comfortable to you and you like the sound, dont get lost in the " I just got a bongo" stuff that goes on here.

You dont need a high end bass to have fun and thats the whole point of doing it in the first place.....Ive owned High end and low end, just find something you enjoy playing

Im very happy after owning thousands of dollars of equpment and very happy now with my brice basses.....this from a guy who used to own a 2000.00 used hamer 12 string
  14. I just got a 12 string bass where each string is trippled. Its sounds amazing! :bassist:
  15. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Do check out the later recordings by Casiopea with Narucho on them. He uses 8 and 12 string basses for slapping.
  16. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Yea They are great, Im addicted to that full sound, just be aware that some guitar players find them intimidating, I used to play the intro to "wish you were here " by Pink floyd on mine in a 3 piece
  17. It would be great to hear some sound clips of the 8 stringers TBers own, perhaps next to a 4 so that you can really hear the impact...?

Note - I'm not made of money, so i'm not looking for an 8 anytime soon, but i'm still curious :smug:
  18. Yeah thats a good idea! and 8guy I see what your saying thanks :)