Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doubleneck Designs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LajoieT, Dec 17, 2004.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Another thread brought up a few comments about doublenecks and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share any scketches, designs, or in my case photoshop chop-n-paste ideas. Here are some of the ones I've been playing with. These are a Warmoth Gecko. I sent an e-mail to Wamoth asking for a rough quote to do a one off body like this and got a rather terse reply back that they did not offer a DN Gecko. I didn't have the $$$ to push the issue so I let it drop but I thought that they would do one off customs and I was rather put off by the reply, tho it goes against what a lot of people have said here about them.

{ by the way, I'm obviously no threat to Fred (fhodshon) which is made obvious by these... I NEED some of that software, and a few years to figure out how to use it!!! :D }

Attached Files:

2. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Here's another slightly different version...

Attached Files:

3. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Here's a Warmoth J Type Deluxe 5 DN

Attached Files:

4. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    And my personal favorite (and current inspiration for playing the lottery...)

DINGWALL!!!!

Attached Files:

5. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Of course these are just visual checks to see the aesthetic basics. In the end there would be differences, more than likely Fretted/Frettless, But I was also considering (esp. with the Dingwall) doing something like covering a 7 string range over 2 5 string necks. Upper Neck F#-B-E-A-D Lower Neck E-A-D-G-C or maybe B-E-A-D-G and A-D-G-C-F with Sheldon working his magic on the scale lengths of each neck.

Gotta run and pick up some scratch tickets and Mega-Millions Numbers.

6. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    And we're all familiar with this one, The Gold (or Melted Wood) Standard:

[​IMG]

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh heh.

well, i've made no secret that i favor doublewides where the necks are offset so that they line up when the instrument is being worn, so my vote is for ex. #2 above.

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I'm familiar with that one.
    [​IMG]

9. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's actually one of the better pics of the infamous JT Doubleneck. I'm kinda surprised by how many of the photos are kinda poor (no offense, but it's hard to really apreciate the instrument in some of the pics) For such a high profile instrument I would think there would be some pro photos around somewhere.

I know he's very strong minded but it never hurts to try:

{run Jedi_Mind_Trick.js}

John should send it to me so I can spend a month taking great photos of it for him.

{end Jedi_Mind_Trick.js}

:D