Doubleneck Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the region, Aug 2, 2000.

1. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    I just bought a 70s doubleneck Ibanez bass/guitar for 250$. It looks like Jimmy Pages old SG 12/6 string guitar but has a bass and a guitar neck. The bass part of it is a copy of the EB 3 and the guitar part is a SG copy.
    Is this a rare instrument? Have anyone out there owned one of these monsters? It´s heavy as a pig!
  2. sbassett

Apr 2, 2000
    If you paid only $250 and it is in playable condition, it sounds to me like you got a bargain. The two that I have seen and played in music stores have sold from $400-$500, including case (maybe that is part of the price difference). What do you think of it so far? How long can you keep it strapped on before the weight gets to you (although the one I played didn't seem too much heavier that a Les Paul or even a Fender Jazz Bass)? A local store has a Starfield (which I understand is an Ibanez marketed under a different name) bass/guitar SG-style double-neck for $400 including hard shell case that I am seriously considering. The tone was good (I already have '68 Gibson EBO and I love the deep tone - and the double-neck I played is similar).

Scott Bassett
    The Bare Assets Jazz Quartet
  3. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    The "bass" is in near mint condition, has new strings and is modified with Gototh tuners (way better than the original ones I guess). The hardcase was included in the price.
    The guitar part of it sounds and plays great, the bass part has fret rattle and a poor thin tone. Well, you can´t get everything!
    I am used to playing a heavy Rick, but this one is HEAVY. Only for full grown men...
    Anyway, the audiences will react!!!