Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DR Burkowitz, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Hey There Boys & Girls & Gifted Animals,
    I've got a question.

I play in a prog rock band, and have been finding myself more and more doing a alot of combo playing in each of the songs, by that I mean - both fretted and fretless within the same tune. Now this has worked great during the recording process however we are begining to book live performances and I'm going - OOPS:eek:

So I've been giving more and more consideration to having a doublenck made. 1-fretted 7, 1-fretless 7. To those of you that curently own or have previously owned doublencks, what are your thoughts & opinions ?????

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Uh-oh, here comes JT!!

3. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Sounds like a perfect justification to me.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you can't have mine :mad: :D :D

check this out...

if you like you can shoot me an email and we can talk about it.
  5. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I wish Carvin was still making those fretted/fretless doublenecks with Kahler know, the ones with the Craig Chaquico (from Journey) Explorer-type bodies? Those ruled...

...and with a Spector Holoflash finish? THE ultamate jazz ax.

6. What if I say pretty please :p

I just sent you an email - Thanks

D.R. Burkowitz
  7. Well, if you want to look like an ex White Snake member......:D

J/K. Sounds good, and no doubt JT will give you Conklin's number. Proabably gets money for each referal he does.:D

I think Tobias is doing double necks, but I have never actually SEEN one, so it could just be scuttle-butt.

Rock on
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Craig Chaquico played for Jefferson Starship(later just Starship), that was Neal Schon who played for Journey.
  9. If I may use a phrase started on the west coast of the united states and popular through the early 90's in malls everywhere...

duh :)
  10. I've seen RIC double necks but never bass/bass ones just guitar/bass. I think you would be best off w/ Conklin especially w/ an expert aboard (JT):cool: .
  11. Nearly all of the pictures I have seen of doubleneck basses have the fretless fingerboard on the lower neck and the fretted on the higher neck. Is there a particular reason for this configuration? Because to me it would seem more logical to have the fretless on the high neck, to better focus on intonation, and the fretted on the low neck, to slap or just relax a little bit.
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    1: agree with maui-san. Frets on the lower neck, please.

2: any custom luthier will make double-necks. Including Jerzy Drozd, BassLab (both make 5'ers almost as series), and I guess even DP. But of course, one would expect Conklin to have the most experience with 7 strings (plus).
  13. Thanks for all of your input guys, Esp. John T.
    Well, I've decided to do it, it's just a matter of with whom now. And getting all of my wants and needs in there, as I'm laying the whole thing out.

I currently own a Conklin 7, and have recently (november) commisioned Dave Pushic to make me a 7 fretless. - Which I'm absolutley dying to get my hands on. :D

I thinking right now what I will do is hang tight until I get my DP Custom Fretless 7 and then talk to both guys, make sure they're willing to do it.

If Dave P. Won't I guess that will answer my question early. However If he is willing to build it - I have a much tougher decision on my hands.

My Conklin plays as if it were sent from God himsef to me personally, however I've really enjoyed dealing with Dave P. and if the instrument plays half as nice as I beleive it will. I will probably end up with the same feelings about that bass.

AAAGGGGHHHHH the choices!

The good thing is that, we live in such a fine country that we have available to us, craftsmen out there who can produce these quality instruments. After Dealing with Both Bill Conklin & Dave Pushic, I can honestly say I've never encountered 2 finer gentlemen. I have to particularly point out Dave Pushic as I've had more dealings with Him as of late, this fellow seems to really be on top of his game, and has truly been wonderful throughout my project. I'm very Impressed.

Anyway, thanks again guys, I really appreciate the input.

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz
  14. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    DR, I just listened to the "Play" track. There are some really cool ideas there, especially the middle section with the vocal harmonies. Keep it up.:)
  15. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
  16. WOW :eek:

That bass is gorgeous, and how about that price tag......

I'm a little more concerned with playability than cosmetics, however if I ever win the lottery..... :D

Thanks for checking out the tunes silvermaneZ.
    I really enjoy hearing feedback from my fellow bass players, Thanks Alot

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz
  17. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    tee-hee. Ain't she purty? Even with the wrong strings...

[​IMG] CRAP!...wait a minute...

Call me "junior" Ishmael...

Here's a double "one of a kind" Tobias that monkey-man...oops!,
    Eric C. :)...may have been talkin' `bout. Still, about 6 strings short...