doublers technique

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Matt Ides, May 28, 2004.

1. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was being herassed by a heckler the other night during a gig. I double and heckler was suggesting that my electric technique was terrible.
    I do tend to make more shifts on the EB more for tone than playing ease. Plus I feel this shifts are minor since the majority of my playin is done on the DB.

Plus is it fretless so I tend to play more sliding lines on some tunes.

Anyone else have a similiar thing ever happen.

2. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Naw, the hecklers around here tend to say things more like "You're playing too goddam loud!" or "You suck!" or "Freebird!" Nothing quite as hip as commenting on individual musicians' technique!

I play jazz primarily on upright, but I was sitting in on a couple of tunes on electric in a friend's band. There were a couple of guitar players in the audience I knew who commented on how much I moved up-and-down the neck rather than across. I shrugged and apologized for my lousy technique, but they said they like the way it sounded.
  3. moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Down here in NC we just tell them to kiss our grits-
  4. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    Heck, you just play how the hell you like - if you want to shift a lot shift a lot, if you want to play across the strings do that!! As long as you're happy that you're sounding pretty good, in tune and not making loadsa mistakes then they can kiss your grits or whatever that insult is (never heard it here in the UK!!).

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Next time hand them the bass and ask 'em to show you how it's done. It'll either shut them up or perhaps you'll learn somethng...
  6. Most hecklers are very unhappy people, all day, every day. You only had to deal with one night.