Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DoubleTHUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Obsolex, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, I sort of know what a double thump is... It's like a slap/pick with your thumb right?
    Well, anyway, could someone post a few pics or videos on how to do this. Or just so I can see it...
    I saw it in a live video of Laquer Head by Primus where Les does it. But I can't see it clearly. I don't think my video card can keep up with that mad man :(:(. lol...
    thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Victor wooten is known for his double thump technique, it's pretty freckin easy, just down-up down-up down-up with your thumb, just takes some practice.

www.mocamusic.com

this guy has some videos of it, close up, and slowed down, not a bad reference.

though, there is no "right" way to do it, that moca cat(orin isaacs) does it his way, victor wooten does it his way, I do it my way(over the fretboard more so)

it all works, as long as you practice it, and practice putting it into application, not just textbook style.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Sounds like a technique thing to me......

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Yea like he said....Victor Wooten has a home instructional video Super bass solo technique He shows you how he does that!! Not to mention he plays some cool stuff on there! If you see it, keep an eye on Reggie Wooten. His slap guitar is SICK!!!!

....Joe....

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

No you didn't... you saw left-hand-slapping. Once again, I'd like to repeat myself because there have been several... SEVERAL threads discussing Laquerhead (for some reason? It's not even one of Les' better songs). Left hand slap.

:ninja: Pals d nah t fel. :ninja:

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have always used my thumb like a pick. Follow the same motions your wrist does with a pick, only this time, have your thumb out.

7. Here is a question I have not seen yet concerning double thumping. How much force is applied with your thumb. At first vic shows a very long swoop down on the string, and then comes down. And it appears that he has alot of force behind it. But as he goes into the teccnique, his thumb stroke gets shorter and it looks like he isnt putting as much force into it. Ive been trying to tackle this technique for a while. Just add some stuff to my bass playing, id probably never use it outside my practice session. BUt its a cool technique non the less, so any help with how much thumb power to use would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The less force you use, the easier it gets.

9. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    It all depends on what kind of sound you are trying to get. If you are going for a regular finger style sound then you use very little force, but if you are trying to get a plucking sound then you need to use as much force as it takes.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got into seriously practicing this about two months ago and I've gotten it down pretty well at this point. I've found that going soft is the best way to keep your edurance up. When I stop paying attention and start putting too much pressure into it, my thumb just gives out.

11. Hmm if i do it softly the notes lack power and clarity.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, the whole power thing is probably not what you should be going after, but the clarity part is important. Since double-thumped notes are generally being played at a high speed, they're basically just like percussive beats with a note to them. Think of it like a drum roll; you hear each hit just barely because of the speed, but each one is still crisp. Power won't easily be recognized when going that fast unless you're playing short bursts. I tend to save the power notes for the pops and single thumb slaps. I tend to find I get the most clarity if my thumb has enough stiffness behind it on the upstroke so it really passes through the string without bending, and I've developed a callousy lump that makes a clear tone when I use that.

13. I see what you mean and youve cleard up things alot for me. ITs Just Wooten and MIller make DT sound so darn good, almost like slapping. And i have bother of wootens vids. Like I said id never use this excpet for, well to show off. But it shows im versitl with bass playing. And some day I will get that Pretty Little Lady song down. I wish i could get a good view of what he is playing with his left hand.

14. funkslapped

funkslapped

Apr 25, 2003
    Word.

15. Ok I have another question. Its DOuble Thump not double thumb. And Thumping is another way to get a slap sound. Ok now that the dumb question is out of the way... There is a video called the slap bass program. Its been highly praised. IM thinking about getting it. Does it come with notation book. Its a bit off the subject. BUt I wanted to throw it in nonetheless. Thanks yall.
    Joe

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's called double thump, double thumb, double slap....there's not a single name it always goes by.

17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah that moca guy is a good reference, because the technique sounds just as sh!t in that first clip as when i do it at home! :D

i fully appreciate that video sound is not exactly hi-fi, but to me this just highlights that this technique is by definition clanky and messy.

I got it to sound like he does in that first clip - the clips after that get better i must admit (pretty darned cool in fact), but is still a messy sound... the sort of thing you could use for a one off accent and nothing more.. which is cool i guess.

18. Couldn't agree more, Howard. Double-thumping is, in my bass playing purposes atleast, the last option in attempting to play a tune. The sound is more often than not lesser in respect to other techniques. At the same time, however, it provides a vastly easier way to play some licks I couldn't otherwise.

[k]

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't think of it as a "messy" or "clanky" technique; it just requires more finesse and practice than others. If you watch Victor Wooten's Bass Day '98 DVD or listen to Marcus Miller's cover of "Teen Town," you can see it has many applications in the right contexts.

20. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    Hey is there a site where I can check out duble thump?I heard Wooten do it but I've never seen it!