Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doubling Myself with other sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've never played around with effects, so bare with me if this has been asked before. Please let me know if there is another thread about this subject to read.

I'm considering starting up a pop band (60s-current) with drums, bass, keyboards and guitar instruments. In listening to various pop songs, I will need to double my playing with various other instruments. What I mean is splitting my playing into a bass line with no effects and another line with a synth, orchestra or guitar sound..

How do you guys do this? I was thinking of a stereo digital delay with one line to my bass rig and another line to either another amp or PA with the effects to make what I'm playing sound like a guitar, synth or orchestra depending on what the song calls for. Am I going about this right or not? All input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. One real easy way to split your signal is with a 2 channel mixer, and in pedal form, that's the Boss LS-2 which basically takes a mono bass signal, and gives you 2 effects loops that you can turn on/off or mix with separate loop level controls.

3. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    how about midi?

4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

That Boss LSS-2 looks like it might do well. I was thinking that a digital delay set for only one delay in stereo would give me a slight delay to the effect signal, thus making it sound more like two instruments. As for the other signal, yes midi is what I had in mind. But I don't kknow anything about midi. Where do I go to learn about that?