1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doubling octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shameline, Jan 18, 2013.

1. shameline

shameline

Sep 6, 2012
    Hello there!

So I have a EHX micro bass, and was thinking of getting a second octave pedal (like the MXR octave delux or Foxtron...) to get more bite...

Anybody has experimented with doubling those effect?

Thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It will be almost impossible for the 2nd analog octaver to track the octave down pitch from the 1st one. If you want 2 flavors to use individually, that's one thing, but trying to use them both at the same time will result in epic fail.

3. PaulieSantino

PaulieSantino

Dec 21, 2012
    Hi!
    I allways use the EHX BMS with an Octaver in front. It's gives you such a cool Synth Sound!
    I use the OC-2 and just the 1 octave, the original signal and the 2. octave all the way down. The MXR Deluxe works well too and it's got more output, so the sound will be even bigger I think, but i just like the OC-2 sound more..

So to answer your Question: yes it will work great but of course you have to play everything an octave up.
    I made a demo of this sound once:
    https://soundcloud.com/frankie5000-1/oc-2-ehx-bass-microsynth

4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Back when I had a BMS I usually would turn off the subs on the BMS and run my OC-2 (-1 full, everything else off) and it was synthy goodness!

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    The few times I used two octave boxes simultaneously the whole point of the exercise was to create burbling, gurgling, unstable, gastric-sounding non-pitch events.

Needless to say, it was a complete success.

Not sure what would have happened if I actually wanted to play notes and recognizable lines through the series-wired octave boxes, but I don't have high hopes.

6. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    You could go analog octave into a digital octave, but it would probably be better just to get a pedal with a -2 and -1 octave if you really want to go that low. Tracking will probably be an issues for -2

7. shameline

shameline

Sep 6, 2012
    I figured the octave down would not be usuable, but I was thinking more the octave up to boost up everything....

8. pietrocefa

pietrocefa

May 3, 2011
    Any octaver of your choice, and DOD Meatbox ...

9. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The EH MicroPog is kickass at tracking and retaining your original tone, as well as going an octave up. The OC-2 is more affordable but will change your tone into a round, synthy tone and gets glitchy below B on the A string. Both useful in different ways...

10. I have the oc-2 and BOD on my board for two different octave sounds: oc2 has dry up full and oct1 up just past mid for a dry-heavy just a bit of dimension lower octave for thickening, while the BOD has almost all lower octave with just a touch of dry for a bit of definition, but it basically sounds like just the low octave synths sound in the mix. I have messed around a bit running the bod into the oc2 and the double low octave actually tracks pretty well, but my amp has trouble pumping it out down low. I have never tried it at a gig, not sure how useful of a sound it really is.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021