1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doubling on “Chess in Concert”

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by tornadobass, Jan 1, 2018.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I’ve agreed to playing on a community theater production for “Chess in Concert”. It switches back and forth a lot between double bass and electric bass. Anybody played this show before who has a doubling strategy? Thoughts about the electric bass parts?

Thanks!

2. jpf64

jpf64

Jan 30, 2017
    Can i ask you is that an AF of M gig? Chord charts? Lead sheets? In my experience if you have a min between songs you can switch between standup & electric( I did it for a live TV Show for Comedy Central) get the DI, EQ sound, dialed in so the sound man doesn't ka-nip & Robert's your Mother's Brother! OR mute electric w/Palm Or foam beside bridge ala Jamerson, so there's not much sustain and fool 'em! What Chess records had electric? All the ones i inherited, Muddy, The Wolf Etc had Willie Dixon or some Stand up player.. Guess the Stones did! Yay Bill Wyman! Cheers!

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Different Chess. I wish it was Chess Records, but it’s actually musical theater about a chess match. It’s a community theater production. Chess

We’re playing on stage, a concert-style musical. My plan is to run an electric bass into one channel of my EA Micro amp and an electric upright into the other channel. A two button pedal has mute and switching functions. Both basses will be on stands within reach. Wish me luck!