1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doubling Rig

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by sidonbass, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sidonbass

sidonbass Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    For Upright and Bass Guitar...
    Currently using the Acoustic Image Clarus SL and Bassbone Tonebone 2 channel Preamp.
    The Bassbone is great but it adds another component in the line as opposed to just using a 2 channel amp like the EA Doubler or another 2 channel amp. I wonder if something is lost by having 2 components in the chain. (besides more set up time and more EQ to mess with)
    Im thinking about selling the Tonebone and the AI Clarus and getting the new EA Doubler.
    Any other 2 channel amps good for doubling that you like?
    Walter Woods...Tooooo expensive!
    Thoughts?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    AI has two channel heads, if you like the Clarus SL just get a two channel model.

Ric Vice likes this.
  3. If your ultimate goal is to get down to a single box and a speaker I don't think you can go wrong with the either the EA Doubler or a 2-channel AI. I have 'em both, love 'em both... mostly came down to which one I found first on Kijiji. :) :)

I also have a Tonebone... but it pre-dates me owning the amps above... and is now gathering dust. When I was running it I don't think I was losing anything by having it in the signal path, and I kinda liked having a stomp box to change channels and mute. Didn't like not having distinct EQ control of both channels (the version I have only has a tone contour setting for one of the channels), and didn't like lugging the big brick (which always needed a power bar along with it in order for it to plug into the average one free socket at the gig). :)

Between the two amps: the Doubler is a bit smaller, but the version I have needs a separate patch cord for XLR DI, and the "channel select" button toggles between "1-2-both", which takes a little getting used to. I believe the latest version has the XLR DI socket built in, dunno how it handles switching channels.

Having two independent gain/EQ channels on just one (tiny) amp to lug around/one plug to find power for at the gig is truly a treat. :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I don't think that you could go wrong with the newer version of the EA Doubler. Since I currently own a Walter Woods Electroacoustic Ultra,
    I can tell you I wish it had the DI, phantom power, HPF and a Variable
    phase control that the Doubler does.
    Alternatively, I'd just try plugging the Tonebone directly into the effects return of the Clarius. That way you only have EQ section to wrangle.

Ric

Lee Moses likes this.
  5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I would highly recommend a Jule Monique. My signal chain is Planet Wing Pickup, into an Fdeck HPF (that is velcro'd to my tailpiece), I keep a sonic research turbo tuner on the floor to mute when I unplug and from there go into my Monique.

I don't make any EQ adjustments when switching and preset the volume on the Fdeck to match the gain on my electric. I've now put in enough time on gigs including those that are mostly arco playing to know I'm selling all the other stuff related to DB amplification.

I'v often done this using Monique as a preamp into a board and monitors. I've also used my Jule M2500 (former M700) and an Ampeg 210AV (or 2).

It is so easy and sounds so good, fancy pedals, multiple channels, extra cables, all that stuff seemed to always be a necessary evil

I own seperate components but the integrated unit would be perfect for most people
    Monique Bass Preamp DI EQ

sidonbass likes this.
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

I could only see doing this with the Jule Monique, since it's such a stellar preamp and a single source like your planet wing. I often use my Ehrlund EAP, into a Grace Felix and either run it directly to the board or back to my M700. So we've got very similar rigs. This is not an inexpensive proposition though, so the EA Doubler would give you more flexibility using two instruments, less and allow you to switch between the two instruments with it's channel select switch. Either option is good. Just my take. The Grace Felix works very well for this provided you're going for a very transparent sound on Electric Bass.

Ric

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    sidonbass likes this.
  7. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I've got the AI Ten2 2-channel. Works great for both.

Most times, I use it for both is when we play shows with another band (rock band) and we share the bass rig. I bring my AI and 2 Ampeg 210 cabs (normal gigs I bring one 210 cab). I use channel 1 and the BG player uses channel 2. The head has enough juice for him to play with a drum kit and 100w fender tube amp (they do have nice subs for extra low end out front).

You may want a preamp for the BG channel for added color (didn't like radial I had) but it might make a decent option.

sidonbass and peterpalmieri like this.
  8. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Yes the elephant in the room is Monique is not cheap nor is the Grace Felix. I've owned and been a big supporter of EA, great guys. Also had a couple different AI amps that I was happy with. Recently I've been having problems with my AMT and need to send it back in for service, cable issue. But at this point I don't think I really need it.

AI Focus and EA Doubler give you a lot of great options of independent EQ, or when just playing DB blending in a mic or have two separate sounds for electric bass, besides switching. NONE of those options sound as good as either of my instruments sound being played through Monique with really no changes except having the Fdeck preset.

On a gig Just having one instrument plugged in and not worrying if the DB needs to be set down a few feet away, does the cable reach. Is it tangled with my other cable. Playing with knobs all the time. It's all a hassle and in the end in my case it just doesn't sound as good.

The other night I was playing all electric except I had to play Josh Grobin, You Raise Me Up, all arco. I unplugged, plugged in the DB and played. It sounded really good, to the point I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much time I've wasted blending mics, playing with EQ etc in the past. When the song ended I unplugged, plugged my electric back in and finished off the night. This coming weekend I have the opposite playing all upright with one tune I have to pull out the electric, easy as pie.

sidonbass likes this.
  9. sidonbass

sidonbass Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    The Monique. Big Bucks. No can do. I'm leaning toward the EA Doubler. At 895 its not cheap either but I can sell the ToneBone and the AI Clarus and for a few hundred..Im there.

peterpalmieri likes this.
  10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When I had my old Focus I, the upright bass (with FullCircle) sounded great going through the preamp on the Focus I. The electric bass went through a Sansamp Paradriver into the effects return on the Focus. The effects return on the Acoustic Image heads run directly into the power section of the head. This setup sounded FANTASTIC! ....and simple. You could do the same thing with the ToneBone and not have to spend a cent.... Oh wait... it's Talkbass.... NEW GEAR!!! NEW GEAR!!

sidonbass likes this.
  11. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I have an EA micro. Its a great amp. I use it to teach (student plugs into secord channel and select both inputs)

The DI patch chord is annoying but fine.

sidonbass likes this.
  12. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Woods hi power 2 channel, fearless f112, headway preamp

sidonbass and Ric Vice like this.
  13. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Tonally I go for a fairly old school vibe. Am having a surprising amount of ease doubling with my Aguilar TH 350 into a RevSound 2x10. For electric, I have old Fenders with flats. Upright is an Upton ply, guts over velvets, with Full Circle into the FDek. The most tweaking I do between the two instruments (if anything at all) is maybe a small move on the drive or mid level.
    No extra boxes or cables. Nice and simple. Just hit mute, unplug, swap and go. Faster than most guitarists tune, tweak & fiddle between songs...;-)

AND, the volume can keep up with two guitars and drums. Once it gets stupid it can still work with more tweaks, but like others have said, stops sounding like an upright...I grabs the Fender and slide right in.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    peterpalmieri likes this.