1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doubling rig

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by maciekbar2000, Oct 20, 2019.

1. maciekbar2000

maciekbar2000 Commercial User

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi everyone!
    I want to know how you deal with playing both upright and electric bass on the same gig. I was thinking about a head+two cabs (taking one when I need less power), possibly with the Euphonic Audio Doubler II.
    My goal is for this setup to be as simple, portable and functional as possible, being able to switch between instruments quickly and having to change as little as possible when doing it.
    What do you use? 2 channel amps, line switchers, anything else? Please, share your setups, advice, anything is welcome really.

Ric Vice likes this.
  2. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    John Patitucci uses Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and a 4x10 cab , and he’s the best Doubler I’ve seen and a relatively inexpensive rig.
    You could probably do the same with a 210 or 2 SL112 cabs.
    When he switched he unplugged one and plugged in the other.

basmansam and Dabndug like this.
  3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Great choice!

armybass, Zbysek and Ric Vice like this.
  4. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    If possible, I try to send to FOH two separate signals. The way I usually go about it is that I use separate head and cab for each isntrument.

If have to send only one signal, I use two channel preamp (EBS MicroBass II).

armybass likes this.
  5. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    He also uses the Felix... And that isn't a cheap piece of gear.

Zbysek likes this.
  6. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Stanley Clarke uses the EBS MB II. I personally think his tone is 9 times out of 10, better than Patittucci's.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    IMHO, EBS MB II is very underrated preamp. I love it.

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    John Patitucci was once an endorser for the Grace Designs Felix. He is an Augillar endorcer also. It's probably just simpler for him to mute the input and switch between BG&DB.
    I'm sure he can also dial in the EQ for both instruments instantly and he's likely not switching back and forth between the two instruments all that much.

Zbysek likes this.
  9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Wow, I heard Stanley with the Return To Forever Reunion Tour. At the time, he was running the DB directly into a SWR Spellbinder Blue and out to the board. It did not sound good.

So I guess it's all in what a particular player is using or in this case endorsing at the time. I've certianly heard John enough times to know his tone and technique is very solid. Stanley

as well, he attended the Curtis Institute in Philliadelphia, while John I believe studied with Fred Zimmerman in New York. Both are genius level Double Bassist who play electric bass equally

well. At that level of musicianship it's kind of Apples vs Oranges. Just my take however.

armybass likes this.
  10. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I saw Stanley at Ronnie Scott’s and at Royal Festival Hall. He had a good sound in those venues. He wasn’t the most cheerful bloke both times... :)

11. maciekbar2000

Mar 4, 2017
    The Grace Design Felix looks grat, but it's quite expensive. Also, I just realised that if I run each instrument into another input, I will only be able to use my pedalboard on one of them, so I need to figure this out

Zbysek likes this.
  12. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    When I saw John and asked about the Felix he said he uses it primarily to send a separate signal to foh.

Zbysek and DrayMiles like this.
  13. maciekbar2000

Mar 4, 2017
    Yeah, that looks great. The perfect solution IMO would be to have 2 XLR outs and to be able to switch one of them to send both channels through the same out, so that when you need 2 outs you can use both and in case the FOH has limited inputs you can send both signals through the same one. I think it would be nice to have 2 outputs on the EA doubler

Zbysek likes this.
  14. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I use the bass bone od. Works well. Has some limitations, but it's pretty good.

jthisdell, Lee Moses and Zbysek like this.
  15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Not neccessarily. You can plug your pedalboard in Felix's FX loop...

16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    This is what Felix manual says: "Each (DI) output can be sourced from either its individual channel or the blend of the two channels adjusted by the MIX control"...-so I understand that you can send both signals through the same DI out if you set the channel source to blend...

There is also another easy "one signal to FOH" solution: take the DI signal from your amp's DI (if you send the signal from Felix to an amp on stage) or plug a simple DI box into Felix's amp out...

Yes, it would.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Ric Vice likes this.
  17. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    There is also the poorman's "two signals to FOH" solution":

plug instrument 1 into amp's instrument input and instrument 2 into a DI-equipped single channel preamp into amp's FX return input. That way, instrument 1 will be sent to FOH via amp's DI output and instrument 2 via preamp's DI output. Both instrument will use the amp's power section for on-stage monitoring. You would probably need to set the amp's DI as "pre".

Please note that this option is not available with amps that mute the signal path when jack is inserted into FX return (such as Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0).

Furthermore, this option is not very practical for amps with FX loop placed pre-EQ (such as Markbass LM II and LM III)....because the amp's EQ would be shared by both instruments for the purposes of onstage monitoring so you don't have separate EQ for each instrument...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Povl Carstensen likes this.
  18. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Two channel Acoustic Image head works for me, or just my Aguilar AG700 which sounds great with both electric and upright.

Zbysek likes this.
  19. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've recently settled on a Glockenklang Soul head which lets me plug both straight in (my favorite way to roll), "trim" the hotter signal and switch back & fourth with a quick button press. I find the hi-fi response is very upright friendly. Mine is an old, somewhat heavy rackmount unit but they have a newer lightweight version. (It would be nice if the 2-channel head options were a little more plentiful. I'm intrigued by Warwick's LWA1000...)

Radial offers some thoughtfully designed, rugged foot switching units at a moderate price point. I like the "Big Shot i/o" for being passive and thus extra reliable (you can add power for the LED indicators). I also have the older "Bassone" which adds some EQ and a DI. But you have to use their 14V wall wart. (One more thing that needs plugging in & you're hosed if it dies or gets lost.)

I've also just unplugged & plugged at the head and that works OK. (After all, "switching" is what these 1/4" plugs & jacks were originally designed for.) For that, it's nice to have a buffer preamp on the upright (in my case fDeck HPF-Pre strapped to the tailpiece) with a volume control to trim to the level of the electric bass.

I have yet to encounter a situation where the sound guy wants separate DI signals. (YMMV - I don't do very many doubling shows with PA support.) If that were to become an ongoing requirement, that Felix unit would certainly be tempting.

Ric Vice likes this.
  20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    When I'm actually Doubling (which is fairly rare these days) I want to have two independent channels with their own EQ sections. So I have a Grace Designs Felix.

It affords independent tone shaping for both instruments. I used to use a Walter Woods Ultra for the same reason. Outside of Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio, and the Grace Felix Preamp

their aren't many two channel amps. I didn't include the Walter Woods because so expensive.

Zbysek likes this.