Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

doubt about strings for D tune

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by malaise, Sep 30, 2004.

1. malaise

malaise

May 28, 2004
    hello I have seen that epiphone thunderbird IV have this strings
    Model No. Gauge G-1st D-2nd A-3rd E-4th
    Bass Guitar SEBE-60 Medium .045w .065w .080w .105w

and I would know if this strings are right to tune the E-4th string in D-4th without hurting the neck.
    This are right strings or I need more thickness.
    please tell me the right thickness.

thanks (and sorry about my english)

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    You will be fine with the .105 when tuning down to D.

The string will be a touch floppier but not that much difference in tension. You could move up to a .110 size string and that would improve the string tension. You won't hurt the bass no matter what you decide.

3. malaise

malaise

May 28, 2004
    but if the E string tension is lower than normal tuning it in D, I I think the other strings will have more tension and I think this is not good to the neck.
    Shall I increase the other strings as well? I'm not sure
    thanks for reply :D

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I do not know enough about the physics relating to the tension on the other strings but I can assure you that the decreased tension on the E string resulting from tuning down to D will not cause any permanent damage to your neck. You may have to adjust the truss rod a bit over time to make up for the change in tension but I promise that no harm will come to your neck. Many people tune down to D (including myself from time to time) with no negative effects on their instrument necks.

I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about.