1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Doubtful, but ...) Any of you guys ever have a tailor-made suit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fender32, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Absolutley! You'll look and feel like a $1,000,000 (in your $2,000 suit).

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No way Jose! Wear a potato sack and spend the money on more basses.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Hire a giant "carrot" outfit for the wedding and skip the job interviews.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    So, I've got a wedding coming up soon (relax laydeez, it's not mine ;) ), as well as a bunch of job interviews to go to in the coming weeks and I'm seriously considering the pros/cons of getting a tailor-made suit :meh: .

Problem is, I don't know anyone who wears a bespoke suit on a regular basis, so I'm a bit stuck on the "pros" side of the arguement :smug: .

Q: Anyone here ever have a suit made for them, which they've worn regularly (wedding suit and prison uniforms don't count, btw :D )?

I'm kind of tall and slim :rollno: , so regular suit sizes are always a little tricky for me (sleeves too short, shoulders too wide etc.). I've tried on a few "long" sizes too recently, but there's always some problem or other (arms too long, pants too tight etc.). It'd be great to have a suit that fits like a second skin and yet, isn't too tight. Apparently, that's what you get with a bespoke suit! :meh:

Any opinions?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't have one, but my boss at work has a couple, and a couple of the football teams I've worked with have had staff and managers dressed in bespoke suits, looking very sharp.

3. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    the only suit i have is the army class A's i was issued. and i hate them.

4. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :meh: Don't their Brylcreemed "mullets" make the shoulders all greasey?

;)

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have had a number of them - I think 8 or 9 now, but they were all made by a tailor in Hoi An in Vietnam. They are not cheap by vietnamese standards (about 4 times the price of usual tailoring) but still pretty cheap by domestic (ie Aus / UK standards).

The pros:

- Fit you really well
    - Will be higher quality than an off the rack suit
    - Can be the design you want

The Cons:

- Generally more expensive
    - Don't "wear" as hard as off the rack suits (ie the material is more delicate)
    - Only as good as the tailor who makes them

I wear a suit 5 days a week for 12 hours a day, its great to have good fitting comfortable suits. However, if you are only wearing it for a wedding and a few job interviews, I wouldn't spend the cash on one.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have had them made for me. Go for it. It does make you feel a bit more confident wearing some threads made solely for you.

-Mike

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's actually usually the managers and co-ordinators who wear the suits, the players all wear new trainers, training shirts of a uniform design and trackies.

Here I am rocking it in my suit.

[​IMG]

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I know if that shot was panned down you would have some white trainers.

9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Thanks Mark, that pretty much confirms my suspicions, so far.

I hear what your saying about the "economics" aspect, but the way I see it, every time I need to wear a suit (not that often, really) I always feel like compelled to buy a new one, because the last three or four that I've bought just didn't cut it (tailoring pun intended ;) ).

Consequently, I find myself shopping for another off-the-peg suit now, despite having three or four old ones that I don't like for various reasons. :)( Have I broken any "Man Laws" yet :D ?).

Also, I think that it's especially important to feel comfortable and confident in a job interview and wondered if a custom made suit might just give me "the edge" (not that I want to look like "The Edge",m you understand ;) !?). Or, is there really only a very small difference between the two?

:confused:

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If it will make you feel better or more confident and you can afford it why not?

I prefer them to off the rack suits as they generally fit and look much better!

11. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    You see Chris, you're lucky! :p

White trainers, or no white trainers, you're still a "normal-shaped" guy (the kind that Hugo Boss and co. design their suits around ;) ).

I'm what you'd refer to oop north as, "a lanky streak o' piss" :( . Hence the drastic tailoring solutions!

P.S. No "mullets" there, I notice.
    ;)

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've wanted to, a lot, but the $$ stops me, as well as the fact my body has been changing size in different ways (getting skinner, then getting wider in shoulders/back/chest/limbs, etc. in a repeating cycle) from exercise and diet.

Me getting a tailor made suit would be useless, because in 2 months it wouldn't fit anyway. When I achieve my lifting goals and my body composition is stable and consistent for some time, then I will DEFINITELY be getting one asap.

That said, I have owned a couple of suits and feel like a million bucks in them. It could only get better tailored :D.

13. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I may well do, Mark. I just wanted to hear from someone that I could trust :)D ), that there really was a noticable difference.

Besides, I really just wanna get my inside leg measured :p .

:bag:

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    not a suit, but a friend of mine is a fashion designer and she made me an exact replica of john entwistles union jack flag jacket.

15. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :meh: Another good point there, Aaron - what does happen if you blow a wad on an expensive suit and then pile on/shed the pounds !?

I should consider that too, I suppose! Although my weight hasn't changed much in the last 20 years, I've just given up drinking and the lack of those 20+ pints of beer a week, could have drastic and unforseen consquences! :(

Maybe I should wait a while and see which way the balance swings :D !?

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yes, but I've since outgrown it :bawl:

17. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    That might work for the wedding (the groom's English :) ).

Not sure if it'd help me in the job interviews though :meh: , as I'm not seeking work as a Moster Raving Loony Party candidate, a member of Oasis, or a circus clown!

:D