1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doug Johns' rig?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DinnerWithAGypsy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. I know a lot of his tone comes from his Pedulla MVP and obviously his technique as well, but does anyone have a comprehensive summary of Doug Johns' rig? I'm just curious, because his tone is sooo sexy.

He used to play through Thunderfunk heads didn't he, but now he plays through Genz Benz amps? or did I make that up? :p

Also, I'm not entirely sure this is where this thread ought to be posted. I try.

2. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Doug used to endorse Eden for many years. He switched to Genz Benz about 2 years ago IIRC.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    yes....he's playing Genz Benz. His main amp is the Shuttle 9.0.

..and, Uber 4x10

4. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When I spoke to Doug at winter NAMM, he said he was using the Eden stuff strictly for studio, and anything playing out was the GB stuff hasbeen listed. Don't know if he's completely dropped Eden since then though.

5. Ah, I see.
    Thanks for all the info, guys.

His tone must be all Pedulla; I wasn't impressed with the tone of the Genz Benz head I played solo (a Shuttle 6.0, I believe it was); it rocked in a band situation though...
    Opinions, just out of curiosity?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021