Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

doug pinnick fans

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 1, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    in these hot days i forced myself not to take a break or have an holiday. i have to study to complete my last exams. in my free time i practice a lot and i listen music. and i realized how great bass player and musician is doug pinnick from king's X. i'd like to know your opinion on him and, just out of curiosity if you have seen him live, what kind of equipment he played and rumors about king's X future. i have seen him live once on the last tour here in italy for the album tape head. he played a black yamaha bass with 4 ampeg 8x10 cabs and a big fan in front of him. i haven't seen other gear...

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he used to play hamer stuff, but i think it's all yamaha now. he has a great tone live, i've seen kings x 5 or 6 times, and every time he sounded great. he always played ampeg stuff, when i saw him, iirc.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    King's X is my favorite band!

Doug is great. Didn't like the new Poundhound CD much though. Perhaps he should play bass there too, and not guitar.

4. Hello,
    I feel that Kings X is a band that has never really gotten their due.Incredible musicianship,awesome tunes and great harmonys.
    I believe Doug uses ampeg 8-10 cabs for his lows and mids and then uses two fender dual showman guitar amps for his highs.
    p e a c e

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I saw them last summer at an open-air festival, and he played one or two (rented?) SVT stacks and a Yamaha bass.

6. I love his tone. King's X is one of my favorite bands. I believe Doug endorses the Yamaha Attitude bass, although from the pics I've seen, they are not stock instruments.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I doubt that ANY endorsee plays stock instruments, especially with the big companies.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the bass i have seen was not an attitude. more the like of a RBX.

9. Very possible. According to Sheehan, his main axe is stock, except for a brass nut and he personally altered the wiring somewhat.

I've seen pics of Pinnick on the last tour from one of the King's X websites and he's playing a black Attitude. It has what looks to be a rosewood neck and just a P pickup. It didn't appear to have the Model One pickup.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is that an attitude?
    i don't know the yamaha line up of basses and they have ****y web site!

11. Yep, that's an Attitude bass. Cool pic.

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    killer bassist, never liked a damn thing he's done though.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Doug is one of my favorites, and King's X is second only to Rush on my list of favorite bands.

Back during the Gretchen goes to Nebraska and Faith Hope Love days, he played a Hamer 12 string with the lows through an SVT and the highs through a Marshall stack. Had awesome tone.

I miss the 12 string days, but he has great tone on his 4 string stuff too.